Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough milk!

Default Not pumping enough milk!

Hi, I have a 2 month old and I will be returning to work in a few weeks. I started pumping to store milk but I am having a hard time getting any milk with the pump. I barely make it to 2 ounces when I pump after I nurse him. When he was first born I used to pump around 8 ounces...I stopped because I finally got him to latch on perfectly and have been nursing exclusively ever since. But now that I have to go to work I need to be able to pump more than 2 ounces. What can I do???

Default Re: Not pumping enough milk!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby and on making it to 2 months of nursing!

The amount you're currently pumping is on the high side of normal for a mom who is pumping after a feed. When you were pumping 8 oz at a time, that was definitely oversupply. A breastfed baby takes just 2-4 oz when he nurses, on average.

You'll probably see more milk once you're back at work and pumping instead of nursing, rather than in addition to nursing. Breastfed babies generally need about 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation from mom. Because daycares often overfeed, it may help to send your milk in relatively small portions. A lot of moms will send feedings consisting of one 2-3 oz bottle with a 1-2 oz "chaser" bottle- that way the daycare provider will be forced to pause the feeding while reaching for the second bottle, giving the baby a chance to decide whether or not he's really still hungry.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Not pumping enough milk!

I agree, I think you'll find you have plenty of milk. When you are pumping to replace a feed, rather than after nursing, it's a whole different story. Your breasts will be full and ready to go.