Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time pumping HELP

Default First time pumping HELP

My doctor suggested that I start pumping for my 1 week newborn. Just one bottle per day to help me get some rest. Any suggestions how I should do this? I read to pump 5 mins after I feed her, but I can't see that much coming out. Can I collect milk all day and store in the fridge and then freeze? Oh this is so confusing. Need help.

Thanks!!!!
    Deana

Default Re: First time pumping HELP

Hi Deana, welcome to the forum! I would suggest that if all is going well with breastfeeding right now that you hold off on pumping for the time being. How does pumping get you rest? It only creates more work for you to haul out the pump, have bottles to wash etc. Also, 1 week is too early to introduce a bottle if there is no medical reason to do so. Until breastfeeding is well-established, somewhere in the range of 4-6 weeks, introducing any kind of artificial nipple, whether a bottle or a pacifier, can lead to "nipple confusion," where baby prefers the bottle to the breast. It is easier for baby to drink out of a bottle than out of the breast, so if you introduce a bottle early, baby may start to prefer the bottle over the breast. So best to avoid it for now. Lastly, pumping on top of breastfeeding can lead to oversupply - too much milk - which can lead to problems like plugged ducts and mastitis (as well as annoyances like feeling engorged, leaking etc). Again this is assuming that there isn't any problem such as a poor latch, poor milk transfer, low weight gain etc. But if all is going well then the name of the game in these early weeks is just nurse, nurse, nurse and nurse some more. You cannot offer the breast too often and there is no such thing as baby nursing for too long!

How is that going to help exactly?

Way too lazy for formula

with the PPs! Your doc gave simply AWFUL advice. At one week in, you a) should not be using bottles unless there is medical necessity to do so, and b) you should be pumping every time you give a bottle, in order to maintain your milk supply. So if you were to take the doc's advice, you wouldn't get any rest- you'd just sit there with the pump instead of nursing the baby!

How is nursing going so far, mama? Any problems we can help you with- other than the one the doc is trying to give you, that is?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks guys. Nursing is going good, she's just gassy. They wanted me to give her a probiotic hence the pumping. I should have mentioned that. I tried to pump today before a feeding and after and nothing came out. So I guess it's not meant to be.

Why do you need to pump to give a probiotic?

My DD had painful gas throughout the first 12 weeks. I don't know that the probiotic helped, but gas drops definitely did not help and I wanted to attempt a more natural option. I mixed the powder w/a small amount of my milk and gave it to her carefully using a little baby medicine spoon. Just about at 3 months the painful gas stopped. Her gut had matured. She still farts like a frat boy at 9 mos but it's not accompanied by wailing.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

You can always take the probiotic and put it on your nipple. Baby latches on and gets a mouthful.

Don't write off pumping just yet! Many moms are not particularly successful with pumping the first time or even the first few times they try. The type of pump you're using is often the biggest difference, with manual pumps generally being the least effective and high quality double electric pumps being the most effective.

Of course, if you're going to be one with the baby, there's no need to use pumps and bottles at all, ever. It's a nice option, but not one that is right for everyone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"