Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning a couple feedings during the day

Default Weaning a couple feedings during the day

Hello,
    I have a 7 month old who is exclusively breastfed and refuses to take a bottle. I haven't had to give him a bottle, but now I am returning back to work for 6 hours a day and need him to replace one feeding with a bottle. How do you suggest I go about doing this. Can babies learn to replace just one feeding with a bottle/sippy cup and breastfeed the rest of the time? Also to teach him how to take a bottle before I return, should I offer a bottle at his 10 o clock feeding and if he doesn't take it, wait until around 1 to offer him the breast? Also when he is 10 months old I have to go on a work trip for 2 nights and he won't be allowed to come with me. Do you think if he can learn to take a bottle while Im at work, he'll be ok without me for 2 nights just taking a bottle? i'm so nervous to leave him! any help would be great!

Default Re: Weaning a couple feedings during the day

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aliwundo View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 7 month old who is exclusively breastfed and refuses to take a bottle. I haven't had to give him a bottle, but now I am returning back to work for 6 hours a day and need him to replace one feeding with a bottle. How do you suggest I go about doing this. Can babies learn to replace just one feeding with a bottle/sippy cup and breastfeed the rest of the time? Also to teach him how to take a bottle before I return, should I offer a bottle at his 10 o clock feeding and if he doesn't take it, wait until around 1 to offer him the breast? Also when he is 10 months old I have to go on a work trip for 2 nights and he won't be allowed to come with me. Do you think if he can learn to take a bottle while Im at work, he'll be ok without me for 2 nights just taking a bottle? i'm so nervous to leave him! any help would be great!
    My son refused to take a bottle any time we tried to practice, but literally the day I went back to work, when my mom gave it to him he finally took it. That said, you could also try an open cup or a sippy and see if it makes a difference. Have someone else try to give it to him, rather than you. Also, I wouldn't worry about doing it at a specific time. And you don't need to ever wait to offer him the breast.

Are you going to be coming home to nurse at all? Because you said you're going back to work for a 6 hour day but he only needs one bottle feeding? If not, he would need more than 1 bottle for that amount of separation. Breastfed babies take small amounts, frequently.
    First time working mom to Zachary, 11/20/2015

, , &

At 7 months you can probably safely try anything with an overall healthy baby, but generally it is not suggested to withhold nursing in order to teach baby to take a bottle. If a baby is totally refusing a bottle, I suggest starting slow by offering an empty bottle for baby to mouth as play, slowing adding a small amount of breastmilk and building from there. If baby is eating solids and you are offering small amount of water, small amounts of water could be offered in the bottle as part of this process if you like. But the key is to keep bottles non-threatening and fun. A baby is more likely to be relaxed about trying something new if they are not hungry. Sometimes offering milk chilled rather than warmed helps.

I also agree sippy or open cup can be tried.

If you are going to nurse baby shortly before you leave for work, and then nurse as soon as you and baby are together again, and the entire separation is 6 hours, and baby nurses frequently enough the rest of the day, I think planning for one bottle of 3-6 (or maybe a little more, depending on baby) ounces is entirely fine. Baby may cue to eat more often than once while you are gone, so you and your caregiver can discuss this scenario. A bottle of expressed breastmilk can be drunk from, put back in the fridge, and offered again in the next couple of hours.

I haven't left my lo for longer than 2 hours yet (though plan to leave her 3-4 hours soon) and she is nearly 8 months. She also does not and has never taken a bottle. We have been getting her used to an open cup and she needs help with it but has taken at least 1oz from it when we are offering solids. So I figure I'll feed before leaving her then leave 2-4oz with the cup and hopefully she'll work it out with carers helping her. Good thing is, as maddieb says, the milk can sit out fine during that time and be offered multiple times. I also find my lo takes milk from cup better when its not me giving it -you may find a carer or another person can give bottles or cups more easily. Good luck with the return to work

Mama to a little girl Sept 2015... EBF and BLS
    Baby wearing Mama and Dada
    Co-sleeping family and loving it
    Gentle and positive parenting