Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gradual weaning but still engorged

Default Gradual weaning but still engorged

I did a search for similar posts but didn't have any luck. Please redirect me to a pertinent thread if I'm just missing it.

I weaned my 18 month old son from 4 feeds per day to none over the course of 5 weeks. We dropped one feed every 7-8 days. I've been nursing from one side only for several months. My last nursing session was Wedneaday afternoon. It's now Monday night and my right breast is still very engorged. I've hand expressed twice, yesterday and today, less than half an ounce each time just to relieve the pressure. I feel as though I weaned gradually. Is this engorgement normal?

Default Re: Gradual weaning but still engorged

The engorgement you are experiencing sounds normal, just not typical. You did the right thing in weaning slowly. My guess is that you simply did not wean slowly enough for your individual body. Some moms could probably drop 4 feedings in a couple of weeks, and my guess is that you're at the other end of the spectrum, where you need more like a couple of months, minimum, to get down to zero.

You're doing the right thin in continuing to hand express the minimum amount of milk necessary to restore comfort. Keep taking that aProactive and your body should eventually get the message.

Default Re: Gradual weaning but still engorged

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The engorgement you are experiencing sounds normal, just not typical. You did the right thing in weaning slowly. My guess is that you simply did not wean slowly enough for your individual body. Some moms could probably drop 4 feedings in a couple of weeks, and my guess is that you're at the other end of the spectrum, where you need more like a couple of months, minimum, to get down to zero.

You're doing the right thin in continuing to hand express the minimum amount of milk necessary to restore comfort. Keep taking that aProactive and your body should eventually get the message.
    Thank you for reassuring me I'm on the right path!