Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At A Loss...

Default At A Loss...

My LO has gained 6 oz in 10 days with supplementing using the SNS feeder and bottles, breast milk until the supply was gone then formula. She vomited 1.5 oz of formula after the bottle on Friday, so I thought she was reacting to the formula, until she spit up breast milk from the bottle yesterday...and today after she stopped eating at the breast DH gave her 1 oz formula from the bottle, and 10 min later that all came back up...HOW IS SHE SUPPOSED TO EAT IF SHE CAN'T KEEP IT DOWN???? I'm more than frustrated, feeling worthless because the "natural" way of feeding her from the breast isn't enough for her to gain adequate weight, and the damn bottle is too much too fast...my head is spinning and I have no flippin clue what to do or how to handle these issues. The SNS is a pain and a huge mess when I'm alone with her, spilling formula everywhere and irritating her skin in the process since she has my sensitive skin, and the bottle is proving to be a pain too.

I want to quit BF, it seems so much easier to just give her a bottle and call it good, but then she spits up everything that she takes in from it, counting out just putting her on formula, but she won't eat from the breast...or I don't have enough to satisfy her...

Her pediatrician said to supplement until she's full, babies won't over eat, how could you if you're spitting up everything you just took in...the IBCLC suggested fenugreek, blessed thistle, and goats rue for me to provide enough to satisfy her, blessed thistle is on its way and I've been taking fenugreek 3/3xday since Thursday night Noticeable increase, but still not enough for her...

What do I do? Just deal with this and hope it works itself out? I'm hoping for a quick fix, I haven't had much time to myself and I really need some, so selfish of me! I need my daughter to eat and gain like she's supposed to. With all the crap I have to do with pumping, cleaning, bottle making, storing, SNS feeding, there is no time to enjoy her. When I do have time to enjoy her, she's mad-either hungry or tired...

Default Re: At A Loss...

Has the possibility of reflux been explored yet?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No, I brought up the vomit to the ped and that's when she said babies don't take more than they need...asked the LC and she said slow down bottle feed.

I think I'd talk to the ped some more about the possibility. I mean, you've been working so hard and IIRC, there isn't really a good explanation for why your baby isn't gaining weight well. It just makes me think about a friend's baby, who was really tiny despite the fact that mom was breastfeeding on demand and doing everything right... Turned out he had severe silent reflux. Once they got him on meds he started gaining weight at a normal pace.

Obviously, this is just a possibility, not a diagnosis! But worth discussing, IMO.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I looked up silent reflux, and it is quite possible. We have another ped appointment next Monday, I'll definitely bring it up, thank you! In the meantime I'll keep her upright after eating and see how that goes.

In the meantime, should I let her nurse until she releases the nipple and then offer the bottle? I try to switch since we were having hindmilk issues, I think that's what that was, since her poop has gone back to yellow since supplementation has begun.

I think I would let her nurse until she comes off on her own, and then give the bottle, and then, if at all possible, offer the breast again. That way baby associates the breast with the feeling of being comforted, sleepy, and full, rather than the bottle. But if you're also pumping, you could be looking at a lot of additional time investment- and I am sure you're already maxed out!

oK, i'M thinking the pumping will take a back seat for now. When I'm noticeably full she actively eats at the breast, as the day goes on she eats less from breast and requires more supplement, so I'm pretty sure she gets a good amount at the breast. Will post updates as I find out...

Update: From Monday to yesterday her weight went from 7lbs 10oz to 7lbs 15oz!!! That is with supplementing. I got Blessed Thistle Tuesday and added that to the Fenugreek I'm taking and this morning I pumped 2.5oz! It's looking up, my lack of supply was the only issue, and now it looks like we're in a growth spurt, so supplements aren't going away any time soon, but she is actually eating at the breast again! Phew!