Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Forceful Letdown????

Default Forceful Letdown????

Hello,
    I am almost 9 weeks PP and when I feed my baby on one breast the other breast starts hurting and milk starts spraying out uncontrollably. Is this forceful letdown? Also, would pumping help relieve the pain?

Default Re: Forceful Letdown????

Forceful letdown is a very subjective term. It's less about absolute speed/force and more about the baby's ability to handle the letdown. Some babies can easily handle a fast letdown; others will cough, splutter, gag, click, fuss, pull off the breast, and will act reluctant to nurse.

In most cases, forceful letdown is caused by oversupply. The more milk you have, the faster it comes out. This is why pumping is generally not a good treatment for forceful letdown. Every time you remove milk from the breast, whether via baby or via pump, you are telling your body to make more milk. If the root cause of fast letdowns is oversupply, pumping will just increase your supply and make the problem worse!

Start by adopting reclined feeding positions. Reclining enlists gravity to slow milk flow to the baby.

If that's not enough, and you have lots of symptoms of overproduction- e.g. lots of engorgement/fullness, tons of spraying and leaking- then you might want to do some block feeding. But don't start there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I only feed her in the side lying position.

Do both breasts hurt, or only one? Does it just hurt for a moment or does the pain continue throughout the feed? When my milk letdown comes it is often 'uncomfortable' and yes sometimes painfull, and my breasts leak a lot (I joke that they are my baby feed time alarm clocks)
    I found that it helped to just let the breast spray into a washcloth - it relieved the pressure a bit. Without more information its hard to tell, but then I'm hardly an expert Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable ladies here will have more info for you.