Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only need to feed expressed milk few times a day

Question Only need to feed expressed milk few times a day

I have a 5 week old son (born on 3/10/2013) who has been breastfeeding well. (He gained 4 lbs in one month!) This is my second child and with my first child I breastfed for over a year.

I work from home tutoring children and I will be starting that up towards the end of May, which would put him at 10 weeks.

If I had it my way, I would not bother with the pump at all but since I will be teaching at least three hours each day during the weekdays, a caregiver would have to bottlefeed him while I teach.

I have been pumping around 9:30am, at noon and around midnight and I yield about 3.25-about 3.75oz.

Would it be alright to just simply skip that three hour time slot when my son is bottlefed and just pump twice in the daytime and once at night and not have to worry about milk supply diminishing? All the other times I will be breastfeeding. I think I have trained myself to have an extra supply during the early part of the day and at night.
    Any tips would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Only need to feed expressed milk few times a day

Since you're almost always available to baby and working just a short time, during the workweek I think it would probably be okay to skip the 3 hour slot, and just nurse ASAP once you're done with your tutoring. But I also think you want to play it by ear- if it works, great. But if you feel like skipping the 3 hour slot is causing problems, then you probably want to change things.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you are working in your own home and your baby will be there as well, what about having your caregiver bring your baby to you if baby gets hungry and you nurse your baby while tutoring the kids? Then you would not ever need to pump and your baby would not ever need a bottle.

I know this is probably a shocking idea. No need to explain if you have considered it and it won't work for you. But when are we (as a society) going to understand (or rather, return to the understanding) that nursing a baby is not sexual, is not a bathroom activity, is normal and healthy and can be done in the presence of anyone? Certainly if my boys were your students I would have no problem if you nursed your baby while they were there. And they would not even notice. Well, they might give you some tips.

If your baby gained 4 pounds in four weeks, it is possible you have overproduction or in any case, very very good production. This is fairly common with a second or subsequent baby even if it was not the case with your first. It's not a problem for your baby (obviously) and I am gathering it is not a problem at this point for you, but it may become a problem for YOU and even baby if you are pumping as well as nursing and possibly overstimulating your production.

When a mom is separated from her baby in order to work, she is pumping that part of the day INSTEAD of nursing. With your situation, it is more like you will be pumping as well as nursing. That is the difference. So I agree with mommal, it would be best to listen to your body and see how things go and adjust as needed. It may well be that YOU will feel the need to nurse or express milk while working so you will need to figure out a way to do so, even if you do not need to in order to provide your child milk. Maybe you will find it works best to scedule breaks between students or have a tutoring session include a 'snack break' or something.

I would also just remind that it is normal to have more abundant production in the early weeks and for things to start leveling off sometime after about 4-6 weeks or so. Most mothers tend to notice this adjustment in production at around 3 months, which will coincide with you starting to work. So do not panic, it is normal for weight gain to slow if it was initially above average, for your breasts to feel less full or even "empty,' and for pump output to decrease once you start making enough milk for baby and not more than enough. These changes can feel even more dramatic if a mom is a very high producer early on. But they are normal and do not mean you are not making enough milk for your baby.

Wow thanks for the speedy response. I'm an American living in South Korea and getting access to a lactation consultant in the area is not that easy. Even though I've breastfed my firstborn, it was 4-5 years ago and I have differing issues. I will try to breastfeed while teaching. Also, I've thought of putting my infant in a carrier while I teach in the early months as he seems to be content riding around and I'm also practicing breastfeeding inside the carrier (Ergo).

South Korean hospitals on the whole are not that supportive on exclusive breastfeeding. The first day after I delivered from the hospital, I didn't see my baby until 5 hours later. I did not expect that. I had requested a private room but had to wait until other moms checked out before I could check in and so my son was in the nursery. When the nursery finally did call me in for breastfeeding, no one really showed me how (it would have been nice to have a refresher course) and during the feeding they came in to interrupt it saying that he's had enough and I'm tiring him out by letting him nurse too long! When they took him away, he was still suckling on his lips...

The nursery also insisted that I supplement with formula because they said that my baby would be dehydrated and that he's losing too much weight. Had I not had experience with my first son, I might have actually believed them. I think I was the only mom in the hospital who kept her baby with her in her room during the hospital stay. I started the demand feeding right away (since I also had to make up for lost time).

All in all, I'm glad I stayed the course. Obviously my son did not suffer from dehydration and weight loss (4lbs in one month!). It was pretty stressful when the nursery kept calling me to supplement with formula.

Yeah, I've heard this sort of thing about South Korea before. Sometimes I wonder if the worst ideas in maternity care are the ones that are most likely to take hold... I'm really glad you stood firm and didn't let the hospital wreck a good thing for you and your baby!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"