Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could use some perspective...

Default Could use some perspective...

I am thinking so often about giving up on BF these days. LO is 8 months old and we have made it this far without any formula. I'm proud of us. I LOVE nursing her when I'm home 90% of the time. But I really hate pumping at work and I really hate worrying ALL THE TIME about whether she is satisfied, when to pump, how to instruct daycare to feed her so she will be hungry when I get there, etc. It is all I think about. I am also starting to really want a night out with my SO when I don't have to pump or worry about one too many glasses of wine or getting LO to sleep so we can have a quick moment to ourselves. I miss going away for the weekend and waking up without a sore back because I do acrobatics all night to feed my co-sleeping nursling. I am starting to wonder if another 4 months really makes that much difference....
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Could use some perspective...

I hear you. It takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice. Especially when you're working and juggling going between pumping and bottlefeeding and breastfeeding each day. I think about the same thing at times, too, and I just always come to the conclusion that the baby has to be fed one way or another, and MOST of the time, it's easier, more convenient, more cuddly and cheaper to keep going. As much of a pain, literally, that it can be to nurse your baby all night, imagine getting up to make a bottle of formula. Ugh, no thanks.

I would also add, and as a mother of 1 to your 4, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but my baby is 10.5 mos old and I've found the whole working and pumping routine has gotten MUCH easier over the last couple of months as my LO's solids intake has crept up. The combination of her not relying on me completely for her nutrition, her being older and able to go a little longer between feedings, or munch a snack to hold her over for a few more minutes, and my supply evening out so that my breasts don't get as painful if she doesn't nurse quite as predictably and my supply doesn't take a hit if I skip a pump every once in a while and fall back on frozen milk, etc. means that I don't worry so much about my supply or about making sure she's ready to nurse at daycare pickup, or making sure I even pump exactly on schedule every single time she takes a bottle. Your mileage may vary of course, but I think it was right around 8 months when I thought I couldn't do it much more and then right after that it slowly but surely started to get easier.

So I would say, you should do what is right for you and your LO, but if you really love it when you're together, I think you would miss it if you weaned her, right? She's only a baby once. Hang in there!

Hi mama, working and pumping is a big, big pain. But I would say that you are already SO CLOSE! Four months is going to go by fast. I know it doesn't feel like it but it will! I just pump weaned a few weeks ago when my LO hit age 1 and it's so nice to be able to breastfeed when we're together and not worry about pumping when we're not. It's wonderful that you have made it this far but I think you'll find that the hardest part is already behind you, as sprocket says. Anyway, my two cents is, stick with it!

I'm also going through a lot of BFing problems right now, mainly supply issues despite all my best efforts. I'm really hoping it turns around soon. I'm not sure I can do this much longer, especially considering that I just don't seem to have much milk right now to offer. I just feel like giving up. But for now I won't. I'm going to take it one day at a time, one week at a time. I'm telling myself that in a month if things haven't gotten better, I will allow myself to quit. So for now I'm willing to put myself through the ringer to keep it up...

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I know you are right, sprocket, about it being " it's easier, more convenient, more cuddly and cheaper to keep going". And bfwmomof3, it is nice to hear that pump weaning at one has made things easier. Hang in there adasmom! I'm going to hang in there too. I think I am just so tired right now that the thought of letting go of something (pumping) that takes so much time and energy is appealing. I have a feeling that much more time and energy would be spent on comforting and consoling my LO if she wasn't able to nurse b/c I let my supply go to heck. I decided last night that I need a little break. Going to try to get the big kids some time with relatives this weekend and decompress a bit. I can certainly make it to the end of the week and maybe my outlook will be brighter after a couple days of rejuvenation. btw...it is hilarious to me that "rejuvenation" now is time alone with an 8 month old who needs near constant attention. If I could go back 9 years and tell my single self that a "break" would entail diapers and runny noses and a babe hangin off my boobs, I might not have had so many kids!!!! The good news is that time with her IS a break. She is my joy right now and getting away from the big kids arguments and neediness for a few hours is a blessing Bring on the weekend!!!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

That sounds nice... Enjoy!