Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: we are weaned, at 4 years and 10 days...

Default we are weaned, at 4 years and 10 days...

So, I had almost expected DD to wean after her baby bro was born, but was realistic that it might not happen at all.

I never told her she couldn't nurse, but my 7yo son told her that once baby was here, he would need to nurse and not her. I told her it was fine, not to worry she was always able to nurse too.

I went into the hosp the morning of the 11th, and the night of the 10th was the last time we nursed. When she visited us in the hosp after baby was born, she told me she wasn't going to nurse anymore casue she is a big girl and baby brother needed it now. I didn't argue. It has been 5 days since she has nursed, and she hasn't asked once. She has said a few times how she doesn't nurse anymore casue baby brother needs it, but that's it.

It is day 4 that baby is here, and my milk isn't in yet, just colostrum still. It was suggested to me that I allow DD to nurse to get the milk in faster. While that might work, I just don't want to confuse her or ask her. She seems fine with her decision and I am seriously afraid if she starts again she will be nursing until she is in college...lol.

So anyhow, it was a wonderful 4 years and 10 days. I NEVER imagined nursing a 4yo, but I am sooo glad we made it that far. I have mixed emotions, its like the end of an era for us, my little girl is all grown up. I wont hesitate to let her nurse if she asks, especially if its in the near future, but I have a feeling she wont.

bittersweet for sure!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: we are weaned, at 4 years and 10 days...

Wow, what a great weaning story! And congratulations on the new baby! You picked a lovely name for him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

very sweet. Congrats on nursing through your entire pregnancy, too. What a great 4 years and Miranda won't forget it. I'm hoping your milk comes in very soon!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I haven't been there, but I agree that it might confuse her, especially since you know her best and it sounds like your instincts are saying it will confuse her. Remember that your body does what it is designed to do, so if you still have colostrum and your milk hasn't come in, that may be just what baby needs right now. I haven't heard about having an older child nurse to bring milk in faster (haven't been there), but I have heard the suggestion to have DH suck out a plugged duct, so maybe that might be something to think about???

Congratulations on the new baby!!!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

Congratulations on the new baby Dara!!!! I love his name. And what a wonderful story about Miranda, soooo sweet that she is already taking on the role of big sister to her new baby brother.

Congrats on the new baby. And, what a lovely story I am crying at how bittersweet this is. I've been nursing for 3 years and almost 3 months. I am trying to conceive and am worried about how my little guy will react when I do get pregnant.
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babyhiccups View Post
    I haven't been there, but I agree that it might confuse her, especially since you know her best and it sounds like your instincts are saying it will confuse her. Remember that your body does what it is designed to do, so if you still have colostrum and your milk hasn't come in, that may be just what baby needs right now. I haven't heard about having an older child nurse to bring milk in faster (haven't been there), but I have heard the suggestion to have DH suck out a plugged duct, so maybe that might be something to think about???

Congratulations on the new baby!!!
    Meh. At the 4 year point weaning is generally a process not an overnight thing. There is such a thing as relapsing. And allowing it. Especially in a situation where your girl is trying to have a stiff upper lip and TRYING to be brave about her new brother stealing her mom. I am totally supportive of having your DH getting things going. But I would wait at least another day. It's totally fine for your boy to have nothing but colostrum for 5 days.
    Congratulations Dara!

Way too lazy for formula