Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Pals/milk storage

Default Pumping Pals/milk storage

Have any of you tried Pumpin' Pal? What did you think about them?
    http://www.pumpinpal.com/index.htm

What is the best way to store occasionally expressed milk-an ounce it two here and there? Sometimes DS refuses one side, so I have to pump or hand express and I've started pumping for a three day conference at the beginning of June. Grandma is going to bring baby with me, so I shouldn't need too much, but want some available since I'll probably nurse morning, lunch, and after plus evening/night, but may not be able to pump.

Can I add milk into a bottle already in the freezer? I haven't used bags-can you clean and reuse them or no? I've heard about a breastmilk ice tray with a lid so you can freeze one ounce at a time. That sound ideal-anyone know where to get that? When you fill the tray do you/can you move the ice cubes to another container? Like a bag with three one-ounce cubes per bag?

Thanks mommas!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

Default Re: Pumping Pals/milk storage

I know that you can add milk to frozen, instruction booklets that I have for my Medela pump say for instance, if you have 4 oz frozen, you can add 2 oz just pumped to it, so as long as what's already frozen is more than you've just pumped, it's fine to combine them.

Regarding your question about Pumpin Pals -- I have them and really like them. I started using them when I started back to work 8 mos ago -- I bought them on a whim because I wanted a spare set of flanges and the saleswoman recommended them. But since then, they became my primary parts, and the medela flanges became my backups ... although quite honestly, I dislike using the medela ones now because I'm spoiled by the pumpin pals! I think the pumpin pals are just a more comfortable fit, and I also like that they are angled down so that you don't have to lean forward uncomfortably for the milk to go into the collection containers. Together with my simple wishes hands free pump bra, they've made pumping at work much more productive since I can sit back and multi-task while the pump is basically on autopilot. I also find them beneficial for manual expression, since I frequently follow my pump sessions with hand expression and I like the angled flange because it's easy to rotate different directions while still keeping the bottle mostly upright, in order to best collect the milk depending on how your hands are positioned. The pumpin pals take a little getting used to -- they look and feel a little different, because more of the breast tissue is pulled into the flange compared to standard flanges due to the shape -- but it's worth a try if you have to pump frequently to see if it makes it more comfortable for you.
    Last edited by @llli*mercystreet; April 15th, 2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added more info

I just bought pumpin pals, the full kit w/three sizes. I used one size this morning and they were more comfortable than Medela. I'm on my 2nd pump and wish I had brought a size up with me to work to try. Even though I didn't I'm glad to have the option to adjust size depending on how things are feeling.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Thanks ladies! I may have to try the pumpin' pal.
    Has anyone used sensible lines for freezing milk? http://www.sensiblelines.com/shop.html
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

I have not tried those but they do look interesting especially because of the small portion increments. It might depend on your intended use/length of storage time. For me personally, my freezer stash is in a separate full-size freezer so I want my frozen milk to be good for 6+ mos. When I freeze my milk in the freezer bags, I squeeze out all the air first so it's fully sealed (air contact will = freezer burn over time). My concern with this is that if you pop out a bunch of these milk cubes and freeze them in a ziplock, even a freezer ziplock, they're still getting constant air exposure. I probably wouldn't care about that if I intended to use the milk relatively soon, but for my purposes I wouldn't risk the freezer burn for long term storage.

But I bet these would be great for use with the frozen teether bags (like these which I have offered to my LO with frozen fruit: http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Teething...s=mesh+teether). It would be like giving them a breast milk popsicle! Although you could probably use regular ice cube trays for that...

Anyway, if you try these trays and like them, report back and let us know! I'm curious now.

I use Lansinoh bags for freezing. They are not reusable. If you're not freezing huge quantities, you could freeze in bottles.

I use the Super Shields from Pumpin' Pal. They're much more comfortable for me. Some women find reduced supply with them, but I find that less pain = more milk. Medela flanges just didn't work for me.

If I'm combining bottles, I chill them both first, combine, then bag and freeze.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)