Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extremely painful, large lump

Default Extremely painful, large lump

I am wondering what people think of this. I have had mastitis and plugged ducts before a number of times (I'm on my second baby, who will be 9 months old in a couple days), but this morning I very suddenly noticed a HUGE lump in my left breast. It stretches from high up on my chest wall down almost to the nipple, and it's so hard, huge, and painful. It isn't red. I can't massage it out, though I've been trying all day - it's just getting bigger. Tried castor oil compresses, lots of weird nursing positions, heating pads, hot baths and showers, all my usual tricks, and it just won't budge. Baby is still nursing as much as usual - in fact I didn't give her any solids all day after I noticed it, trying to get her to nurse more to help it go away, but no luck.

Anyway, this doesn't seem like my run-of-the-mill plugged duct. Could I suddenly have an abscess or something without even noticing a plugged duct developing?? I don't have any fever, maybe a bit of chills and slight tired/achy/rotten feeling, but nothing serious. Just such a huge painful sudden lump! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Extremely painful, large lump

I'm not an expert, but I would say its worth a call and/or trip to the doctor if you don't see it decreasing within 24 hours. If it is an abscess that came on quickly, you want to take care of it! Definitely continue with nursing, expressing, and anything you can try. I have found that I had better much expressing in a hit bath when nothing else seemed to work. It was more constant heat on the breast than the shower.
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

I think you're going to end up with mastitis before you get an abscess. Since you're feeling achy/tired/rotten, I think you're probably tipping over towards mastitis- so try your best to empty that breast and see the doc if you get any worse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your responses! Finally after 24 hours, half my breast was a huge hard lump, and I did yet another bath as hot as I could take, and went face-down in it to get gravity helping too. And after some more massaging, a plug appeared at the hole in the nipple ... and I had to grab it with my nails and pull, but once it was out, boy did all that milk come flying out! I have never SEEN a plug before, nor had such an engorged breast - I couldn't get a drop out until the plug came. (But apparently LO could get it out, as she definitely still nursed away all that day!) And the plug was so big it enlarged the nipple hole, so that it still hurts when she nurses. I wonder how long that will take to heal? No blood though, yay. Thanks again. I was so relieved!

Wow, that sounds intense! I've never had one of those string-like plugs that people describe- just blebs and blisters. But blebs/blusters can leave similar small cracks/holes after they've opened up, and those generally healed in under a week. Hope your experience is similar! If you're at all worried, dab some bacitracin antibiotic ointment on the pore, using a clean finger. That should keep any infection at bay.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"