Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump parts storage Queston

Default pump parts storage Queston

I don't have time to search thru previous posts...I have to supplement and i'm trying to pump enough to provide 1 extra ounce per feeding. Do I have to wash and dry pump parts that touch milk between each pump? I heard or read somewhere that I can put the parts in the fridge, but I'm not sure if I have to rinse. I'm worried about getting water in the tubing or my milk...I want to avoid formula as much as possible because my LO's skin gets really red any time formula touches her, face, cheeks, lips. No swelling so I think just contact sensitivity. Any info on storage between pumping, as often a she eats, would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: pump parts storage Queston

You can stash the parts in the fridge, rinsed or unrinsed. Just shake any water out--it's not a big deal.

Is there a reason you think you need to supplement feeds?
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

My LC said it was safe to wash the pump parts every other time I used them, and just store them, un-rinsed, in the fridge.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Awesome! That makes it so much more possible to pump after every feed!

I have to supplement because she hasn't been gaining weight that well, she's 10 weeks today and weighed 7 lbs 3 oz Thursday, and she was born 6 lbs 2 oz, she should be at least 8.5 lbs by now...

I have a related question - can you add fresh milk to cold milk, if you're going to use it all within 48 hours? If I store the bottles (and flanges etc) in the fridge between pumpings, do I have to empty out the milk from the previous pumping into a bag or other bottle, cool the fresh milk and then add it to the collection? Or is that an excess of caution?