Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudden change to 3mo feeding pattern

Default sudden change to 3mo feeding pattern

My 3 month old previously has been feeding for up to 30mins on each side, 5 or 6 times during the day and sleeping through 11pm-7am. In the past week she has become very fussy and is now only taking 10 mins before pulling off crying and refusing to go back on the same breast, but will take another 10 mins from the other side. After that she refuses to take any more, crying and turning away. I am worried about her getting enough food and also worried about developing mastitis again if my breasts are not fully emptied. Any ideas, experience or tips would be gratefully received!

Default Re: sudden change to 3mo feeding pattern

How's the diaper count? That behavior sounds to me simply like she is draining one breast, letting you know she doesn't feel like waiting or working for another letdown and same thing after the 2nd. I would NOT worry unless she is having less than 6-8 wet diapers in a 24hour period. Because the older a baby gets and the more efficient they become at nursing, the quicker the whole process gets.

Way too lazy for formula

Feeding 5-6 times per day sounds low. Most babies eat at least 8 times per day. Maybe since she was eating for so long (30 min per side means 1 hour per feeding, right?) she was getting enough with fewer sessions. Could she want to nurse more often for shorter sessions now? Also, 8 hours overnight is long, both for babies and for your boobies (especially if you are worried about mastitis). Could you add a session in the middle?
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

Thanks for replies. When she pulls away after 10 mins it does not seem as though the breast is emptied because if I squeeze then more milk comes out - although I admit I don't really understand how it all works! She has been in the same routine for several weeks until now and seemingly happy with it, the change in behaviour is perplexing because it has suddenly happened this week.

How long as she been doing the 8hour stretch at night? I missed that. I agree that is a long time. I wouldn't wake her. But I would get up and pump at some point in there as to not have your supply take a hit. I wouldn't go longer than 5hours at any point this early in the game without breast stimulation.

Way too lazy for formula

She's been sleeping through that night stretch since she was 6 weeks. Now she is 13 and has changed very suddenly this week.

What would happen if you woke her to feed right before you went to bed? Would she eat? I agree that just 5-6 nursing sessions per day is on the very low end for a young baby- though some babies certainly seem to do fine with similarly low numbers of feedings. Often they are babies whose moms are blessed/cursed with extremely abundant milk supplies- do you think you fall into that category?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

All sounds totally normal except the low feeding frequency. Babies often get more efficient and thus much quicker at the breast and mothers also often notice breast changes around this age, leading to moms panicking about low milk production, when actually all is normal. As far as baby changing up her 'routine' that is completely normal and will happen again and again. Also if your baby is starting to be more wakeful at night that is normal as well, what is unusual is the 8 hour stretch.

I would suggest don't worry overmuch but also to gently offer to nurse a bit more frequently. If you are swaddling baby or using a pacifier you could back off on those for a bit to see if that makes baby more likely to want to nurse at night or nurse more often during the day.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I saw the health visitor today and had the baby weighed and she is right on track, on the 50th centile as she has been all along. This has reassured me that she is getting enough to eat and perhaps is just speeding up!