Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: os/oald/protein intolerance?? TWINS

Default Re: os/oald/protein intolerance?? TWINS

Ordinarily I don't like to suggest that mamas cut dairy from their diets. Most babies outgrow their allergies/intolerances and I don't personally think that there's any data suggesting that dietary restrictions on mom's part do much to help the babies in the long term. Especially since you don't KNOW what a baby is reacting to- the major offenders are cow's milk, wheat, and soy, but a particular infant could be reacting to a less common allergen.

That all being said, at this point I think it makes sense to try a diary elimination. See if anything changes. There's lots of information on the forum about how to go about elimination diets, how long to give it, where to find so-called "hidden" dairy.

Hang in there, mama! I know this is super-frustrating. But please focus on the positive- you are feeding twins on 100% breastmilk! And they're gaining weight nicely. It's a huge achievement!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The thing is that i have been off.dairy for at least a month. I.don't.think.it has made.much of.a.difference, yet i.am.scared.to.reintroduce.it. my husband agrees that something.is.not.right, but also.said whatever it.is.isn't life.or.death either.....i.just have really.grumpy babies. It just sucks b/c i.don't really.like.them.b/c they are always.crying...then.i feel.bad b/c they are hurting and that is why they cry and.i.can't figure.out why to.fix.it.

Hopefully the referral.comes.quickly.and.the appt.comes.quickly.also.

Maybe a longshot... But do you or your husband happen to be migraine sufferers? I was reading an interesting news story about colic possibly being an infant expression of migraine- apparently colicky babies are several times more likely to have a parent with migraine headaches than babies who don't have colic. I've been really thinking about this as an explanation for why my kids were colicky, since I have been having migraines since age 13.

ETA: have you eliminated ALL dairy? Some babies react to even trace amounts of dairy in mom's diet- and dairy is hidden in a ton of products. Things like bread, other baked goods, even deli meats...

I am sorry this is so frustrating, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

No migraines here
    Originally i only.eliminated obvious dairy, but i have been.really diligent about the hidden for the.last 3 weeks or.ao (maybe more).

It could be soy or something.else...but everyone says poop would be frequent if.it were protein sensitivity (or oversupply). It.seems like there is.some.piece of.the.puzzle.missing. I.would be curious as.to whether there wqs blood in the stool (i gave the ped a dipe to.test, but i have no.idea if.he did.or.not). Their.poop is FOUL. You can smell.it.from.a.different.room. .everyone.tells.me.green.is.a.variation.of.normal, but this.is not.normal.

My ds pooped on average once a week but never had blood in his stool. I've never seen anything linking poop frequency to a protein/food sensitivity. I don't know what is different about your forums home page. For me the multiples forum right there under nursing your toddler. Maybe PM an administrator to ask. You have to trust your gut if you feel something is wrong. Many babies who react to dairy have issues with soy also but it could be any number of foods. Or it really could just be two seriously fussy babies. Like I said while eliminating dairy fixed ds's rash, night waking, puffy eyes and lessened his gas, it really had no effect on his awake personality. 80% of the time he was fussy or all out screaming. It was a day to day challenge to find which tricks were going to keep him happy. That's why I'm not going to tell you straight out to continue with an elimination diet.

I found the multiples.forum! It only shows up.when.i.am.signed.in.

I just do.not.want.to believe that this.is.their.temperament. Ii.woukd.wqnt to.drive off the cliff.if that is.the caee . really believe something.is.not right with them. It may not be a breastfeeding thing.directly, but it.is.something. the ped upped their.dose.of.zantac.and.maybe.coincidentally or maybe not, they har the best day.of their.lives yesterday. Today.is.back.to.screaming. maybe it IS reflux in.addition to them being infrequent poopers. I.read.an.article yesterday though which talked.about the infant gut having.issues when.they had a c-section and in.contact with non-family germs. I don't know if i.woukd.go.quite that far, but their.days were spent.in the nicu...they were definitely.given.human milk.fortifier and maybe formula. At least.one.was on.antibiotics.for.a.septic.infection. they were on.reglan
    There was lots.of.stuff going on that helped them at the time, but maybe it.compromised their.digestive systems. I am.going.tontry probiotics while.i wait for an.appt with the gi.

All the "issues" (spit up, foul poop and gas) would not.bother.me.at.all.if they were happy or even content.

If this is their temperament, please don't jump off a cliff! You don't need to. Babies this young- ALL babies this young- tend to be fussy and screamy, especially when put down. But they all become less fussy and less needy, and more independent, as time goes on. I promise.

Giving your LOs some probiotics is a great idea. I hope it helps!

Good and bad news.....i am about 99% sure it is because of dairy. I wasn't entirely sure that eliminating it helped much, but i reintroduced it and it has been screamfest 2013 here. Back to dairy free. Interestingly though, their poop seems to have gotten better.