Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: os/oald/protein intolerance?? TWINS

Default os/oald/protein intolerance?? TWINS

I am so frustrated b/c i can't figure out what is wrong with my four month old.twins (two.months adjusted). They were born 9weeks early and.spent 6wks in the nicu. They got pumped milk, maybe once or twice if at all? formula.early.on (i.can't recall) and towards the end had human.milk.fortifier.added to help with gaining. They were bottle fed and.only after they were discharged did.we really "get" breastfeeding. By their due date they were 100% breastfed and gaining fine.

Initially when.they were in the nicu.and.for.a.little while after discharge, they had normal bf poop. At some.point after discharge (details hazy) their poop became.green, stinky, thick, and infrequent(we up to.7-8days now). There nay or.may not be mucus in.it (it is stretchy, but not.obviously mucosy). I.have not seen any blood, but plan to have the ped test this week at their 4-month check.up. The big BIG issue.is.the.fussiness. They were not happy ever unless.sleeping or nursing....and they nursed round the.clock. They also spit up all the time too.

About.a.month ago.i.got the ped to.give us zantac which.didn't seem to make.a difference. I also.cut.out obvious. dairy. I ALSO.contacted a lactation.consultant who.said.it.could be oversupply and.recommended block.feeding them. There has been.improvement, but i don't know if it is the block.feeding.or the.dairy.elimination. I do.have a strong letdown.and have been.nursing in.more upright.positions and spraying.into.a cloth when i.letdown.and.
    that.

Meanwhile, their.poop is.STILL infrequent stinky.and green. There are plenty.of.wet.dipes.also
    The last poop.a.week.ago, one.baby had much.more yellow.color.to.it, still.not.normal though.

In a fit of desperation after a two.day scream fest, i bought nutramigen and fed it to.one baby to.see.if it helped...and it has only been a.day, but i.am.not.seeing any differences in their behavior (they are both actually happy today).

Sorry.for the book---i.want.to.bf.them. i.do.not.want to.use.formula. i.also.don't want to.cut.out dairy if.os is the.issue. their.symptoms.overlap so.much and i.want to.be able to.isolate whT the problem is.

(The ped is.no.help. the neonatologist that sees them b/c they were preemies.told.me.to.feed.them.formula and.do.it.only.3-4 hours as it.would.fill them up.better. .i.didn't. Before i.implemented any changes they ate all the time and.apit up just as.much. They stil are spitty, but not.as.hungry.it seems.

Anyway----i.want to.fix this and.i.am so.frustrated (whixh is why.i.keep trying.different thingsinstead.of.one at a.time)

Default Re: os/oald/protein intolerance?? TWINS

I just wanted to.add that these are my 3rd and 4th kids. I breastfed my other kids.with NO.problems. There are.no.allergies.in the family and.they have been.able.to.eat everything with no.issue.

I totally get your frustration with symptoms fitting multiple problems! I had issues with Os/OALD and a dairy sensitivity as well. It sounds like you're doing well with handling the oversupply if that's the issue. I know it's normal for breast fed babies to poop infrequently around 6-8 weeks. I don't if that's different with preemies though.

For the food sensitivity issue it can take up to 6 weeks for the culprit food to be completely eliminated. The symptoms for food sensitivities are: gassiness/bloating after feeding, irritability or churning intestines after feeding, ' target sign'-red rash around anus, rough rash on cheeks/elbows/knees or baby acne extends onto shoulders and torso, respiratory issues-runny nose wheezing, or cough, recurring ear infections, puffy eyelids/dark circles under eyes, And persistent night waking. The top foods are dairy, wheat, shell fish, soy, egg whites, tree nuts, peanuts, corn, and tomatoes. My ds had about seven of these symptoms go away after dairy elimination and they recurred if I had dairy again until 10 mo. I used the chapter about medical causes of night waking in The Baby Sleep Book by the Sears.

Since fussiness is your big issue, I'll add that fixing these two problems helped my son's fussy attitude only a bit. He's just temperamentally difficult. He was rarely happy until he started moving on his own at 6-9 mo.

I.would agree that fussiness.is.the big problem...with the constant.spit.up and.weird poop as the #2. Most.of.the mspi signs do.not apply. Their skin.is.fine, they gain well. They just are.really.unhappy.constant.spitters that have infrequent.stinky green thick.stringy.poop.THANK YOU FOR ANSwering! I.feel.like.i.am.muddling.through this.entirely.on.my.own.

Amazingly enough, today we.had pretty.normal.bf poop for the first.time.in.2months.or.so, with.only.two.daya since.the.last.one (which is amazing.since.it.has been 8-9days in between). I.wish i.knew.what was.working. is.it.the block.feeding.kicking.in after a.month? Did.the.formula.help.kickstart them.to.normal? Is.it.reaally back.to.normal (oh i.hope.so)???

If the problem is oversupply, and the green poops are due to lactose overload and intestinal irritation due to lactose overload, then a day of formula might have helped for 2 reasons. First, taking a day off from nursing and maybe receiving relatively less stimulation to the breast, and ending up more full more often, could have spurred your odd to decrease supply a little bit. Lower supply = less lactose = yellower poops. Second, if the formula gave the babies' guts a rest from the irritation of lactose overload, that could have resulted in yellower poops. Nevertheless, I would not recommend using formula in your case. Green poops and gas just aren't a big health concern, and they're well worth it as the price of being exclusively breastfed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm glad you've gotten a short reprieve. I always wanted twins but was thoroughly relieved that ds was a singleton when he was born. I could not have handled two of him at once! MAJOR kudos to you, mama! Eventually ds and I figured things out and I am so thankful that I stuck it out. The only advice I have for OS besides what you're doing is frequent feedings and to put an ice pack on your breast for ten-twenty minutes before you think they'll nurse. This seemed to calm the spray down just enough for ds to be content. I imagine it'll be harder for you to manage as you have to have a double supply. Maybe posting in the nursing multiples forum would get you better BTDT advice for your specific case.

Where is the nursing.multiples.forum? I have looked for.it, having.seen.it.mentioned, to no.avail.

I.could.live with the spit up and.weird.poop if it.weren't for the incessant fussiness. They are not happy unless.they.are.nursing.or bei g held (even then.it.is hit.or.miss). This all.combined.tells.me.there is SOME problem...it.just is really hard.to.figure out.
    We had their well.check.yesterday and.i brought in the icky poop (haven't heard anything) and apparently i am.getting a.referral to a.pediatric.gi. nobkdy has.called.me yet and there was.so.much.going.on.during the appt that i.am afraid they forgot (but i.ill.call tomorrow to see). They alao.only.gained a.pound.each in a month.

I.just.think.there is.something going.on...and i.could.live with it were it.not.for.constant.cryjng x2.

The babies are 2 months adjusted... I'm wondering if the problem isn't colic. Because 2 months is prime time for colic. (It generally begins around 3 weeks, peaks between 3 weeks and 3 months, and is gone entirely by 6 months.)

Does the fussiness intensify as the day goes on?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No..they.are generally unhappy.whenever they are awake unless.nursing.or.being carried (and being carried is hit.or.miss). They wake up.crying.and it.continues.all day. Equally bad all day. They do THANKFULLY sleep.relatively.well at night. They are on.zantac.for.reflux.which.doesn't.seem.to.do.anyt hing. they.wold be atachedto the boob all day if i.let them. They spit up. Copious amounts of spit up.all the time. Immediately.after eating. Hours after. There is.always spit up.

I keep.grasping at.things...maybe they do.have a protein sensitivity coupled.with.oversupply and reflux. I definitely spray at let.down...but.they would.be pooping a lot vs infrequently (every 7-9 days). Nothing.adds up. I

My little one used to spit a lot. I cut ALL dairy not just obvious dairy and also try not to consume things that have a warning about produced in the same facility as milk and her spit up has reduced drastically to 1 or 2x a day or not all most days.