Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: having a few drinks.....

Exclamation having a few drinks.....

My family has come in from out of town and my cousins are all getting together to have a few drinks....My question is: How long will I have to pump and dump if I have a few drinks to get the alcohol out of my breastmilk...I don't drink much...I am thinking 3 beers max (and thats even if I decide to drink...I don't know how i feel about dumping my precious milk)?
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Default Re: having a few drinks.....

I can't speak from personal experience but here's what's posted at kellymom.com
    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

From what I've read, pumping and dumping is not necessary when only having one or two drinks. Only trace amounts of alcohol make it into the milk, and it hasn't been shown to affect the baby. It's only a concern when you drink heavily.

You may not make it to three beers if this is the first time you are drinking since before you were pregnant I had half a beer and felt pretty loopy. Stopped there.

pumping and dumping is NEVER necessary, depending on your timing. since milk is a blood product, the alcohol will filter out of your milk at the same rate. according to http://www.infantrisk.com/content/al...-breastfeeding, alcohol peaks in your system 30-60 mins after consumption, and so if you nurse first and then wait till your body processes the booze, you can nurse again without pumping. now, IF you're away from baby for a long time, drinking a lot, and you'll need to pump to maintain supply or relieve engorgement during that time, you might want to dump that milk. that infantrisk link is very informative. have fun!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You use the same criteria that you use when drinking and driving. A minimum of 1 hour per drink. It doesn't mean you need to pump and dump, just not nurse for that time. So if you have 2 drinks, go 2 hours before nursing. You're safe to nurse.
    Check your possible blood alcohol levels here: http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/
    Keep in mind that it's not as if you've "made" the milk and it's in a storage container, created and contaminated. Your body is constantly making/adjusting your milk. So if it's for a short amount of time and a small amount, you're okay.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

No need to pump and dump. The rule of thumb is pump before you go. So you baby has something to drink while you are gone. And do not come back to the baby and nurse until you feel until you feel sober. The milk is not tainted. Alcohol leaves your breastmilk at the same rate it leaves your blood stream. So don't breastfeed if you wouldn't drive. Don't leave the bar trashed because the baby will obviously want to nurse at some point when you get home. But if you are sober enough to drive when you leave the bar, you will sober enough to feed when you get home.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks ladies!! So I went out but didn't even get to 2 beers...I haven't drank in so long just one and a half was enough for me. I had pumped before I left and my LO had plenty of milk while I was gone for 4 hours. I pumped as soon as I got home and dumped it just to be on the safe side. Luckily it was his night time sleeping stretch so he did not wake up for another 4 hours after I got home. I had a good time but was so happy to get home to my LO!! I cried leaving him for the first time. I don't think I will be going out again anytime soon. I am his biggest fan and we are attached at the hip!!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

glad you went out and had fun!