Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need advice about Goats Rue

Default I need advice about Goats Rue

HI, I am a mother of three children ages 5, 1 and 4 months. I just recently found out I have insufficient glandular tissue and I cannot produce enough milk maybe about an ounce and a half for both breasts. I tried taking blessed thistle and fenugreek together but nothing happened. I am currently taking goats rue but I feel like nothing is happening, Im just thinking maybe its because of my weight(250pds), should I increase the dosage, is it safe to do so? I take 2 x 3 a day for about 2 weeks, but I have to order more(so expensive), but im determined to ebf my son even thought he is already 4 months. So please share your stories of what helped and what didnt.

Default Re: I need advice about Goats Rue

hi mama, welcome!

i don't know anything about goat's rue, but it sounds like more generally you want advice on how to ebf. can you tell us more about your son's weight gain history (including when he was weighed, same scale, naked?), your pumping routine (sounds like you're pumping since you know you make 1.5 oz?), how it was diagnosed that you have IGT, and whether you nursed your older babies? we can give better advice with all that info
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Okay he weighed 8.14 when he was born, 8.3 when we got discharged. He got admitted because of jaundice, he recovered but the pediatrition recommended to do a follow up with his weight gain he was around the low end of 7 pds(ugh it was such a difficult time my grandfather was in ICU but later passed on.) . Three weeks after his birth he was still around 7 pounds, never really gained, so I put up my arms and decided to suppliment. I felt so terrible I felt like a failure and I wasnt satisfying his needs. He just chugged the bottle. I did see a lactation consultant and she recommended blessed thistle and fenugreek to help me out and pumping after each feed and she told me how much to suppliment. I felt relieved when she told me I was doing everything I could. From then on I didnt really worry about how much he was gaining, just as long as I knew he was getting enough from breast and bottle. Pumping only when I miss a feed. He is only getting about an ounce from me and the rest I feed him with bottle and he has no problem like no confusion. I didnt worry as much about what he was getting. But I did ponder alot of why I couldnt make enough milk, (first baby I breastfed and supplimented until she was three months, second baby I did the same for about six months), I started researching and found out about IGT, and I have the characteristics. Heard about goats rue and how it helped with building mammary gland tissues... So I hope this is enough info but I am determined to give goat's rue a try in hopes I can ebf but if I can't I have come to terms with that.

first i want to say: good job mama! you are really stubbornly hanging in there through some difficult times i also want to say: i think it's time you go back to see a IBCLC. if you REALLY liked your first AND she is an IBCLC (highest certification level) then do followup with her, but otherwise find a new one. i think that, while we can give you great advice here, you also need some hands-on help that only an IBCLC can give.

and then we need some more details:
    has he gained since 3 weeks when you started supplementing? what does he weigh now, at 4 months?
    how many times a day is he nursing? for about how long?
    how much do you give him in a bottle, how many times per day?
    how do you know he's getting an oz from you when he nurses?
    did you ever do the pumping after every feed that the LC recommended?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.