Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek, oatmeal and stress...

Default Fenugreek, oatmeal and stress...

Lately, we've had a lot of stress, as our four year old is going through some major health issues. It seems like the more stressed I feel, the more my son wants to nurse. At times, it feels as if either my supply is dropping, or I'm just not getting relaxed enough to have a good nursing session. I've heard that fenugreek is good for increasing supply, as well as oatmeal being good to help maintain it.
    So I'm wondering which one is best? Is fenugreek better in capsule, tincture, or powder form? What about oatmeal? Is any oatmeal good?
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
    Amber

Default Re: Fenugreek, oatmeal and stress...

Hi Amber,

A baby's increased nursing does not necessarily mean that your milk supply has dropped. For one thing, nursing is a whole lot more than just food for a baby, and if your life getting more stressful these days, he may be nursing more often for comfort.

It is also possible that your son is going through a growth spurt. How old is he?

While I cannot give you advice on Fenugreek (an IBCLC would be a good resource for that information), I can tell you that any kind of oatmeal would be okay for increasing milk supply.

HTH . Hang in there!

Tiana