Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transitioning to solids is not going as well as I'd hoped!

Default Transitioning to solids is not going as well as I'd hoped!

My 11 month old is healthy and happy, but she has been only moderately enthusiastic about food. She frequently turns away when I try to feed her food and likes some, but not many of the finger foods I've offered. I'm guessing I get maybe 5 oz of food in her a day. She fares a little better with her caretaker whom she lets her feed her well 5 days/wk - I think she gets closer to 9 oz those days. As far as breastmilk, she is currently getting nursed in the morning and night and getting 3 bottles of 4oz BM during the day (5 breastmilk feedings)
    I asked her ped who said she's probably getting too much milk and I should only be giving her BM 3 - 4 times a day, preferably 3. I was hoping my baby would lead the way on this one, but perhaps I should cut back and assume she'll make up for it with food. Feels so funny after working for so long to keep my supply up to now go in this direction, but she *does* need to learn to eat food. What do you think?
    Last edited by @llli*lbc; April 13th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: Transitioning to solids is not going as well as I'd hope

I think you are worrying unnecessarily, and that your doctor gave you bad advice.

Until around a year, breastmilk or formula alone meet ALL a baby's nutritional needs, and solids are exclusively for fun and for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After around the first birthday, solids start to become an increasingly important part of a baby's diet, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing a lot of solids is often very slow, with many babies eating very little solid food until the middle of their second year. For example, my girls ate maybe a teaspoon or two of solid food per day until around 14-15 months, and were perfectly healthy.

There's no reason to take breastmilk away from your baby in order to try to accelerate the transition to solids. Breastmilk is the healthiest food a baby will ever eat, and it's impossible to replicate the precise balance of nutrients (let alone the immune factors) using solids. Why take away the healthiest thing a person will ever eat in her life, and replace it with cereal or mushed carrots?

The only caveat I have regards YOUR plans for weaning. Are you planning to continue to nurse past the 1 year mark, or are you planning on weaning at or around a year?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

even the AAP says that breastmilk or formula should be the primary food until a year, with solids as supplements. so the advice to remove breastmilk to force more solids is absolutely counter to what the ped's professional association officially recommends.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm only beginning to ask myself about weaning and have no real plans to stop at one year. My hope is that it naturally winds down, though there's no sign of that for now. I may substitute some cow's milk at one year, since pumping 3x/day at work isn't easy. I've heard the AAP recommendation about breastmilk being the primary food for a year and I guess my ped would argue that it still would be, it's just how much. I don't know, I don't like the advice and may ignore it, though I'm feeling pressure from the doc and some other moms who know nothing but their own experience which may be simply different than mine!

I vote for ignoring their advice. I think expecting adult eating habits from a baby is silly. Eleven months is YOUNG. I was getting all sorts of flack at that age for not forcing ds to wear shoes. And then one day he got interested in me putting my shoes on, so he grabbed a pair of his shoes and demanded I help him put them on. I don't think you need to ' teach' how to eat. Toddlers want to imitate adults. Just give it time. Here's a link for toddler serving sizes. http://www.earthsbest.com/node/364

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    i don't think you need to ' teach' how to eat. Toddlers want to imitate adults. Just give it time.
    totally.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with the PPs.

I think that the reason a lot of docs push solids is that the paradigm of weaning at a year is so firmly ingrained in our culture. Everyone- probably including your pediatrician- assumes that you're desperate to be done with nursing, desperate to "get your body back", and therefore you will wean on day 365 of your child's life. In order to facilitate that style of abrupt weaning, you're supposed to really push the solids. That way your baby is already mostly weaned by day 364 of life, and that final step of complete weaning is incrementally small.

I really wonder what people think will happen if you don't push your baby to eat solids. Does anyone think there are kids who are 20 years old, sitting miserably in the college dining hall, unsure of what to do with a slice of pizza because their moms never "taught" them to eat solids?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"