Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse cycling?

Default Reverse cycling?

My YDS is currently 6 months old and is nursing like a champ. The only problem is that he really only nurses like a champ at night. This would be fine if I didn't also have a two-year-old to take care of all day, too.

I am a SAHM, so I am available to nurse all day. The problem is that my little guy is way too distracted by his brother to get good feedings in during the day. I've started nursing him before and after naps (sometimes even during), but I don't think it's helping (perhaps he's falling asleep before his tummy gets full). Today, for example, I nursed him before his nap (around 12:30); I tried to offer again at 5 because he hadn't "requested" a feeding, but he completely denied me. At about 6:30 I was finally able to feed him properly.

I'm not sure what to do about my distractible little peanut. This has been going on for quite a while which is why I'm finally asking for help. I sort of hoped it would go away since I know this is a phase and went through it once before with my ODS. With him, I was able to "closet nurse." I can't do that this time around because I need to keep an eye of my two-year-old.

Any suggestions on what I can do to change his eating habits? Or are we getting close to outgrowing this phase?

Default Re: Reverse cycling?

Oh my, eagerly awaiting a response to this...your son sounds exactly like my daughter, only she is #1, distracted by anything and everything rather than a sibling, and hates nursing in the dark. I have often wondered HOW people could do this with other children. I haven't taken my own advice here, but one thing is considering moving him back into your room at night (assuming he's in another room) or co-sleeping to minimize the time that you are awake. Is there no time during the day when both kids are napping so that you can nap? Or is it just too tempting to use the time to get things done? Even a power nap helps get me through the day sometimes. Like I'll set my alarm for 30-35 mins out from when I lie down, right after the baby is down, so it's a little nap and then guaranteed time to do things I need to do without a baby underfoot. I'm about to go back to bed now that my LO is down for her morning nap...making up for lost sleep on the weekends is my only other tip. :/ Hope you get some better responses.

I also have a 2 year old (almost 3) and a 4 month old, and baby is very distractable. Sometimes if my 2yo is being loud baby will refuse to eat or even start crying. I'm a SAHM.

I feed baby in the bedroom while my oldest is doing something else. Or I will feed her in the living room lying on a big pillow on the floor while the oldest is doing a quiet activity. Our living room is right off the bedroom so I can see the oldest from there, however, I try to plan it so she has something to keep her busy while I'm nursing. Like morning nursing = oldest daughter's favorite TV show, mid morning nursing = snack time at the table (she's a slow eater thankfully), after noon = lunch at the table and a book, other afternoon sessions = quiet time with special toys, which works pretty well. I did have to put door knob locks on some other rooms because I can't trust her sometimes, but other than that she does well. Also we use our Nook to play games once and awhile while I'm nursing.

Or, if you can manage to nurse while walking around you could begin a feeding in a very quiet boring room and then just lift baby with you to walk and check on the other child, or even have baby in a ring sling or something similar in the quiet room so you can get up quickly if needed?

It does bother me sometimes that I feel like my oldest has to occupy herself, but I try to remind myself that I spent 2.5 years with just her, and the new baby has to eat, so there isn't much I can do but try my best. I found that keeping the room as boring as possible works well, and feeding in the same exact spot. Sometimes she's still too distracted, but I think I read a post on here awhile back that someone said once their baby could sit up and feed while playing with their toys they were more likely to nurse in the more "busy" areas of the house. Interesting concept...
    and Mama to two little girls

Check this out, sounds exactly like what you are talking about? Maybe? http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/ It sure helped me! My baby just started really eating a lot at night, and she is the same age.
    and Mama to two little girls