Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Cephalex

Default Breastfeeding and Cephalex

I came down with a UTI last weekend and was prescribed 500mg of Cephalex 4
    times a day. Baby is 11 weeks old this saturday and has been having VERY watery
    poops and a lot of tummy pains and gas. I'm assuming this is because of the antibiotic . . . Dr. said that it was safe to take while nursing.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the side effects for my little girl? I considered stopping the meds - but was advised not to by my lactation consultant. And she's right . . . if the infection isn't totally cleared up it will only come back and we'll be back at square one again.

I had a friend suggest that I take probiotics, and also give some to my little girl as well . . . I'm not prone to yeast infections - but wondering if this might be a good idea for baby's sake...? If I take the probiotics, would she gain the benefit from them as well through me . . . or would she need to be given some in addition?

Thanks so much! This forum has been a life saver for us!
    Life is Beautiful.

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Cephalex

Your LC gave you excellent advice!

If your LO is having a reaction to the antibiotic, remember that it is temporary. This won't hurt her in the long run. Taking probiotics yourself is an excellent idea. I don't know if that would help your baby, so you might want to look into getting her some baby probiotics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Cephalex

Thank you. I'll get to the drug store today and see about getting both of us some probiotics. It's hard seeing LO hurt - but you're right . . . it won't hurt her in the long run.

Finding a LC here was the best thing I could have ever done. Between her and these forums, I feel so much more informed and 'relaxed' about many things. What an amazing resource and group of women we have here!

Cheers!
    Life is Beautiful.