Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting my milk back after about 1 month

Default Getting my milk back after about 1 month

Ok so I have two questions. First is for my friend. She has a 4 week old baby and she has been EBF her from the beginning. The baby is tongue tied but not so severely that she can't latch and my friend has chosen not to get it clipped. She has had a few issues with getting her latched right and some soreness but overall she has figured it out. She can feel letdown often and easily. She feeds on demand. Well today she talked to me and is freaking out because she tried pumping (which she has done before) and didn't get anything and says she hasn't felt letdown for a few days and her baby just cries every time she puts her to the breast. I tried to reassure her and make sure she knows its ok and to just keep offering breast as much as possible and to not worry about what the pump is showing and to drink plenty of fluids and make sure she is eating enough and all that. So we'll see how that goes, any other advice??? Any idea what might be going on? My instinct and experience is telling me that she is just a bit stressed out and she will be fine if she just needs to relax and keep at it. She has no formula and will not supplement unless she absolutely has to.

Ok Question number two. My 19 month old stopped nursing about a month ago. We were both feeling ready, I was a bit sad but I was ok with her stopping. Anyway my question is IF my friend has trouble getting her supply back or whatever is it possible for me to begin pumping and get any kind of supply back to help her and give her some milk? I can still get several drops out now and I've always had a generous supply.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Getting my milk back after about 1 month

You gave your friend good advice. The 2 things I would add are that she should watch the baby's diaper output carefully- if that remains normal, then she will know that the baby is taking in enough milk, and that she should review her contraception choices. If she's using hormonal contraception, that could be impacting her supply, and if she hasn't been trying to prevent pregnancy and is pregnant, that might kill her supply.

Your friend might be mistaking normal adjustments to supply for problems with supply. Most moms start out with an overabundance of milk, which is nature's way of ensuring that the baby gets enough to eat while mastering the art of nursing. When a mom is making a lot of extra milk, she's likely to feel full or even engorged fairly often, and she's likely to feel stronger letdowns if she's a mom who experiences the letdown sensation (not all women do). But once her supply adjusts and is more in line with what baby takes, she's likely to feel "empty" most or even all of the time, her letdown sensation will diminish or may even disappear, and her baby may fuss as she gets used to nursing on a breast that isn't overflowing. This is the tricky part: your friend's baby is tongue-tied and now that her supply isn't overabundant, and milk is harder to get out, the tongue-tie could impact the baby's ability to get enough milk. Ergo: watch the diapers.

If your friend discovers that she needs to supplement, ideally she would supplement with her own pumped milk. If that's not possible, you could probably help her- you'd have to basically relactate in order to do so but that is possible. Frequent pumping with a very good pump is how you'd go about it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! I asked her and she isn't currently using and birth control and is not having sex either and hasn't at all since the birth so she can't be pregnant. SHe is going to get the Mirena IUD at 8 weeks PP. I explained to her about the milk regulating and not feeling full and she was very relieved. She said her LO is having lots of wet diapers and lots of good mustardy yellow poops so it sounds like baby is getting plenty! I told her to just not worry about the pump since she is a SAHM and just nurse her baby. She already has a lot of milk stored so there is no reason right now for her to stress about pumping. THanks!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

That sounds good! I bet her issues were simply due to supply adjustment. So many brand-new moms have no idea that you're not actually supposed to be burstingly full the entire time you nurse!

You might want to talk to your friend about Mirena, and its potential to impact supply. Mirena is supposed to be safe for breastfeeding, but every so often we have a mom come through here who is having problems with supply and the problems coincide with her starting to use Mirena. I personally think that there's good anecdotal evidence that for some women, even thosesupposedly "safe for breastfeeding" hormonal methods (Mirena, the progestin-only mini-pill) have the potential to negatively impact supply. And if a mom gets Mirena and her supply crashes, she's stuck with it until she can get an appointment to have it removed. Your friend might want to consider a non-hormonal IUD (ParaGard), a barrier method (diaphragm, condoms, sponge, etc.), trying the progestin-only pills (which can be stopped immediately if there's a problem), or maybe just waiting a little longer before getting a hormonal IUD.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'll let her know for sure Thanks! She is still having some issues with latch but I think she will continue to work through them.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!