Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Missed period, not pregnant.

Default Missed period, not pregnant.

My son is two and a half and still nurses a lot, I finally got my cycles back in August and they were like clockwork (as usual) every 28 days for two months, and as of today I'm five days late but got a negative result on a urine pregnancy test (whew! three is enough!) Is it possible that once it's come back for it to stop again due to breastfeeding? I don't think stress is the cause as my life is pretty intense all the time anyways. Hence the "whew!"

Default Re: Missed period, not pregnant.

I think is normal for your cycle to start and stop if you are still breastfeeding but if your period doesn't show up I would probably do another pg test in a few days just to be positive.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It is possible if your lo started nursing more frequently. I had this happen a few times when my lo was under 2 and would be teething and want to nurse more I would skip a month.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I've heard of false negatives before however wouldn't most urine tests show an accurate result at this point? The woman at the clinic said that the tests they use would show a result at 7-10 days past your missed period. That seems like a REALLY long time. I don't honestly think I'm pregnant but I'm usually so regular that this is a surprise.

If someone could help that would be very helpful. Ok, so me and my girlfriend had sex. I am only 16 and she is 15. But when we did I wore a condom and pulled out. She was even on her period when we did it. The condom did not have any visible hole or anything. It has been over a month since and she has not gotten her period, im not certain how late her period is but i know its a week probably longer. She is usually irregular but not this much late. I should also mention that i took her virginity. She took two pregnancy test at home and both were negative. Yet in the past couple days she has been complaining about cramps and sore breasts. I know these can be a sign of both her cycle starting and pregnancy. We both have been very scared and stressed out because we are not ready to have a child since we are only in high school. If anyone could help it would mean so much. Thank you.

hi there, given that you used a condom and it didn't break, the chances are she's just late. sometimes stress (like wondering if you're pregnant) can even delay your cycle, which doesn't help! but it wouldn't hurt to take another test at least a few days after she took the last test. in the event she is pregnant, there are lots of confidential resources that can help you both sort out what is right for you. planned parenthood is a good place to start: http://www.plannedparenthoodchat.org/
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Most likely her period is simply late. But if it doesn't show up in another week or two, she should get another pregnancy test.

Assuming that you have dodged pregnancy this time, you should seek good information about your birth control choices for the future. Planned Parenthood is a good place to start: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ You may want to consider using a method with a higher effectiveness rate than condoms, which can break and sometimes fail due to user error (like failing to leave a reservoir at the tip, failing to pull out either before or immediately after orgasm, putting a condom on only after intercourse has started).

You also need to have a conversation about what you would do if you did experience an unplanned pregnancy. You both need to be on the same page, whether that means abortion, adoption, or keeping an unplanned baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"