Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply and Engorgement- baby sleeping through the night

Default Oversupply and Engorgement- baby sleeping through the night

Ok ladies. I am in agony! I am in desperate need of some advice. My son is 5 months old and I have an oversupply problem. It wasn't a big problem until he began sleeping through the night (11-12 hours). I do a combination of pumping and nursing. I have been trying to not pump when he sleeps but the last three nights I have been in so much pain I could cry. I am so desperate that I'm considering stopping BFing because I am in so much pain. I want to continue but I am at my wits end. I tried block feeding and I ran into the same problem. I can't go that long at night. The last two days Nolan switched to a 4ish hour schedule between feedings. I am trying to only pump exactly what he eats from my breasts. I am pumping both sides. I am not coming close to draining them and I am always really tender even right after. It almost feels like it is getting worse. i am paranoid about getting mastitis since i frequently get plugged ducts. I read that block feeding should start with empty breasts and I have also read the opposite. How long will it take for my body to catch on that I don't need all this milk? I have been using the lowest pump setting.

Please help!

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Oversupply and Engorgement- baby sleeping through the ni

There are other Mom's here who have more experience and I'm sure they'll chime in. Why are you pumping? Do you have enough of a stash to back off for a while?

For me, my pumping was causing my over production. If you don't need the milk, try to slow down on the pumping as much as you can. If his sleeping through the night is causing you pain, try to only pump enough to take the edge off.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    There are other Mom's here who have more experience and I'm sure they'll chime in. Why are you pumping? Do you have enough of a stash to back off for a while?

For me, my pumping was causing my over production. If you don't need the milk, try to slow down on the pumping as much as you can. If his sleeping through the night is causing you pain, try to only pump enough to take the edge off.
    I'm pumping because I couldn't stand how my forceful letdown affected him. He would pop off, make a face and choke. It almost made nursing painful for both of us. I know I made the problem worse by pumping. I know what to do now to get him to nurse. The problem is that I can't get onto his schedule. He goes way too long between feedings for my body to tolerate. I was hoping to be able to ease my way back into his routine by decreasing my supply first. I do have a stash in the freezer so I don't need any extra now.

His schedule (give or take 30 min):
    7am
    11am
    3pm
    7pm

My schedule:
    5am
    9am
    1pm
    5pm
    9pm

I'm trying to get to where he is with minimal pain. I can't quit the pump and just nurse because it would be such a big change that it is too painful. I am trying to only pump exactly what he eats, so I am not emptying the breast. I was hoping that would signal to decrease production.

What do you think?

i hear you! the good news is that quitting bf is NOT the answer, because you'd just have it worse: instead of telling your body to make a little less, you'd be telling your body to make none. and more pain, more risk of mastitis.

so it sounds like you're doing the right things in terms of pumping just to take the edge off, etc. can you dream feed him at night?

so is he nursing too? he is nursing only 4 times a day, then you're pumping an additional 5 times a day and bottle-feeding? pumping 5 times is a lot, and you go 10 hours overnight ... that's a LONG time for a 5 month old. i'm not sure what you mean that you can't get on to his schedule - are you not nursing at 7/11/3/7?

have you tried letting your letdown spray into a towel at the beginning of the feeding?

and oversupply can be really wicked to get under control. that's why it's not something anyone should wish for, though mamas with low spply often do. i've heard it said here that it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back, and a LOONG process. so hang in there
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

When you say your baby goes too long between feedings, do you mean that you wait for him to exhibit hunger cues (fussing, crying) before nursing him? If so, I encourage you to offer the breast a lot more frequently. If you're feeling full and feel like you want to pump- try nursing before you resort to the pump. If it's been a couple of hours since the baby last nursed- offer the breast. If you're bored- nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"