Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS

Default BLS

Ummm...I think I might be doing something wrong. I did research on BLS before beginning with my DS, including personal experience with my ODS (except with him we didn't begin until 9 mos). We sat down for breakfast this morning, and both boys were given pear slices. My YDS was really excited and picked up the pear enthusiastically. He got it into his mouth and managed to bite off a piece. This was when I got really nervous. I freaked out (in my head--didn't want to scare him and let him know I was nervous) that he was going to choke. He didn't; he successfully swallowed the chunk, but I can't shake the feeling that I missed something.

Is it normal to be this nervous about choking? Am I being overly anxious, or do I need to change my methods a little bit? From what I read, Mom provides a "finger-shaped" piece of food for LO to experiment with, right?

Default Re: BLS

I think you know your child best. If you think that he's not yet able to deal with chunks of food- because he's not a good chewer or whatever- then you should feel free to stay away from foods that break up into chunks. I personally wasn't comfortable with the "finger-sized" portions when my kids were very young, so I mostly gave them shredded foods instead. Like a small pile of shredded, boiled chicken from a soup. With fruits, sometimes it's best to give the baby the whole fruit- like a whole peeled apple or something- and let baby lick it and scrape off small pieces with his incisors (assuming he has them). But again, you have to know your baby and explore your own comfort level. Some kids can nip off large pieces from a whole fruit, and depending on your baby, you might or might not be okay with that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

if your baby successfully swallowed a chunk of food without choking or gagging, I am pretty sure that is just how it is supposed to work. -that baby either spits out or tongue thrusts out what baby cannot handle/does not want and swallows what he can handle. We are doing bls for the first time with my daughter, we started at 7 months, and yes, it is a bit nerve wracking. We certainly watch her every move and have even grabbed food out of her mouth once or twice. So, if being worried about choking is not normal, we are definitely not normal! I basicaly watch and if how she is handling a particular item is making me uncomfortable I take it away and try something else. We also do a lot of pear slices and I am pretty comfortable with those. Was the pear nice and soft? Did your leave the skin on so baby can nibble/scrape the flesh off the skin? that is how we do it, that is what the book suggested *as I recall* I agree with mommal to stay away from things that are likely to break into too hard chunks.

Personally reading the book helped me feel much more comfortable with it, but there is certainly still a learning curve I have found. I read the original book but someone recently told me the follow up book with recipes gave lots of backgound as well-stands alone, in her opinion.

I did French Fry shaped pieces. Pieces he could get his hands around and that if bitten off I thought could be safely swallowed.

Way too lazy for formula

All kids are different, my youngest really only prefers things mashed up. But I can still do mashed up bits of things and then make little droplets of it on her tray. For example I can mash up avocado and put little droplets of it on the tray, or banana, tiny chunks of ground beef, or soft chunks of sweet potato, oatmeal, etc. basically anything that can be soft or made softer by mashing a little like chick peas that are well cooked I smoosh them to make them flat. Etc. I guess its not exactly the baby led style but it helps me not be so stressed babout it and she eats better this way.

So, it sounds like you are similar to me with being anxious and you might want to try the method I described. My child also likes some purees, believe it or not, and actually prefers to be spoon fed (my other children did not).
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Thanks very much for the replies. I was thinking about doing a hybrid BLS/puree method as you described, nola.

I also did both - sticks, chunks whatever and whole peeled apples, plus puree. I always felt it was easy to not overfeed if I read his cues. first by following his eyes and also asking him directly: do you want some of this, and then later also just where he pointed or put his hand in. Eventually he started to pull my hand with the spoon to the bowl he wanted to be fed from. I offered several purees and sticks right in front of him on a tray so he could choose. Sometimes he would then dip the carrot or cucumber stick into the apple sauce and licked that off. When we started solids I let the carrots and cucumber sticks wilt a little to make them a bit rubbery so they could not snap that easily.