Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much breastmilk should my 10 month old be getting?

Default How much breastmilk should my 10 month old be getting?

My son is on a nursing strike. So, i've been pumping and getting it in with a syringe because he only bites on the nipples of a bottle or sippy cup and doesn't drink and so doesn't get all the milk.

I feel that he got more milk when he nursed. It seems like the pump doesn't get it all and so I only get about 2 to 3 ounces each time. A total of anywhere between 6 and 9 ounces per day. Is this enough for him?

He eats his solids very well! Three meals a day and it seems like he eats a lot of food.

TIA

Default Re: How much breastmilk should my 10 month old be getting?

Here's an update. I just put my little guy to bed and offered the sippy cup with 3oz of breastmilk in it. He took it and chewed and actually did some sucking too! That's the first time that happened in the last week. However, he didn't drink it all and he is totally not interested. I'm so afraid that he isn't getting enough a day. I hope someone has some insight, or would any of you care to share how much your little one drinks a day?

Default Re: How much breastmilk should my 10 month old be getting?

Milk intake for an exclusively breastfed baby is generally 20-30 oz per day. Until a year, babies are supposed to receive most of their nutrition from milk (or formula) with solids only "complementing" milk/formula in the baby's diet- but it's really difficult to say what that means in terms of oz for a 10 month old baby. 6-9 oz is definitely low, so anything you can do to increase baby's milk intake is good. Cutting back on solids may help, if baby happens to be an extremely enthusiastic eater when it comes to solids. But please don't stress too much- nursing strikes are really hard and you're doing a great job getting milk into your LO!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"