Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decreased milk supply in late afternoon

Red face decreased milk supply in late afternoon

hi,

my daughter is almost 6 weeks old and i am breastfeeding her (finally after having mastitis 3 different times ). I really wanted to breastfeed but in the beginning she wasn't gaining weight (on account of the mastitis, i think) so i had to give her formula. Now that i have her back on the breast (because i have been feeding her frequently to increase my milk supply) i am wondering if it is possible that my milk supply decreases around the same hour everyday (about 5 o'clock). With all of my effort, she gets frustrated at that hour like she isn't getting enough milk and i am forced to give her formula. Is this normal? and how long will this last? and how long does it usually take to ween a baby off formula and get her back on the breast?

Thumbs up Re: decreased milk supply in late afternoon

Hi
    My lo's always fed more late afternoon, early evening . It is perfectly normal for them do do this. You are doing really well to get her back off the formula and onto bf. She is still quite young and will probably want to feed most of the time. This is normal.
    Just remember that your breasts are always making milk so you will never run out. babies quite often do something called cluster feed in the early evening. They are storing up for the night time.
    You are doing really well so don't doubt yourself.
    Good luck
    Amanda

Default Re: decreased milk supply in late afternoon

Ditto PP.

Breastfeeding is so much more than food. The early evening hours are often a time of high stress for babies, and they like to nurse more often during this time. And, remember, breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make.

How much formula is she getting now? The easiest way to tell if your baby is getting adequate nutrition at the breast is to count wet and poopy diapers. Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) and 2-5 bms per day. If her "diaper output" is good, you can continue to decrease the amount of formula you are giving her and trust that all is well.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

My son is 9 weeks and he does the same thing every evening.

Here's an article from Kellymom on cluster feeding in the early evening, may be you can relate

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

This was so helpful. My mother kept telling me that I was feeding him too long, and she said I shouldn't keep changing sides when he fussed like that. That nursing after 20 minutes or so was pointless. Of course, this occurred about 6pm, and when she later heard I had nursed him on and off for 2 hours before he drifted off, she lectured me on it. It's been over a week, and since I joined this board, so many things make me realize that my LO and I are doing way better than I thought, if only we'd stop listening to the wrong people. LOL Thanks! Tonight I have a quiet, sleepy baby who nursed 3 times between 6 and 10.

Smile Re: decreased milk supply in late afternoon

thank you all so much for all the support...it is true that i begin to dounbt myself with all the other people who live in this house constantly saying "she's hungry, she's hungry, just give her a bottle so she will calm down". I really needed to hear everything you all have told me. thanks i again and tonight i will try to resist giving her the bottle.

Way to go mommas!

It is great that you feel you are gaining some support and encouragement here on the boards!