Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusive bf to 85% pumping transition advice

Default Exclusive bf to 85% pumping transition advice

My little guy is almost 7 weeks. He has been ebf. It's been a long haul, he is an eager nurser, but he has laryngomalacia in combo with my over active let-down and his reflux. My other kiddos had laryngomalacia but they tolerated the milk flow better than he is. Feeds are ridiculous, swallowing tons of air, choking, crying, pulling. He has been gaining weight and I have him on Zantac as of yesterday, but there is nothing I can do about his laryngomalacia but wait for him to grow out of it, who knows when that will be.

He only takes one breast per feed, about every 2 hours, give or take, and every 2-4 hours during the night. I have bottle fed him pumped milk several times and while he still chokes sometimes, he handles the flow overall so much better. im using dr browns preemie nipple. I am tossing around the idea of only bottle feeding during the day and breast feeding during the night. For some reason, we have less feeding drama during the night.

I'd love to hear opinions on this, it is a very difficult decision for me, but ultimately, I want for us both to have less stress. I feel like I'm not sure how often I should pump throughout the day? I go back to work in 3 weeks part time, and I plan on pumping every 3hrs when I go back. Is that frequent enough if I do choose to stop nursing altogether during the day?

I also get nervous about being away from home and dealing with possibly having to give him cold pumped milk. He has refused cold bottle milk. Can't really warm it up when you're say, at the Zoo. And how do you keep it from spoiling on a hot day when you're out and about, say at the pool?

The thought of all these extra "dishes" to wash makes me cringe! Although, for me, being able to bottle feed in public instead of having to find a hiding place sounds wonderful. I have never been able to discreetly whip it out in public, way too stressful for me and layer on top of that a choking, crying baby...I just can't do it.

Advice on this is so much appreciated!
    ~Sarah, momma to
    Gracie 7/2006
    Keira 12/2009
    Parker 2/2013

Default Re: Exclusive bf to 85% pumping transition advice

I want to talk you out of it. He will grow out of it and your OALD will die down. But you will never get back the time you put into pumping. And I think it will take you twice as long. Because you will have to nurse the pump, then feed then clean the pump and bottles. If you are having issues during the day, feed less often while awake and try to plan all feeds around sleeping time. If your baby is still napping at least 3 times a day (which at 7 weeks it may even be 4times a day!) that is at least 7opportunities to feed without ever dealing with it while he is waking. And the issue is that most babies work off instinct when they sleep or are sleepy. Stick with it Mama. Pumping all the time to feed a baby that you are with is a total drag.

Way too lazy for formula

I would of course feel fine about you pumping one a day so that you always had a bottle to go out in public.

Way too lazy for formula

Oy, I agree with the PP! Don't EP, even part time, if there's any way to avoid it! I know the struggle you and your baby are having right now stinks, but fast forward to the future and consider how you're going to EP when your baby is more mobile and demanding and you need to choose between caring for him and maintaining your pumping schedule. Not to mention the trial of pumping in public- if you think nursing in public is difficult, imagine having to hook yourself up to a pump in public. Imagine asking the server at a restaurant or a store clerk if there's a clean, private space with an outlet that you can use, and having to explain exactly why you need it...

Have you tried reclined nursing positions? How about side-lying nursing? Sometimes when babies have less trouble at night, it's all about the position they're nursing in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't do it!!! I went from exclusively pumping to now exclusively nursing and whoa what a difference...It is so much easier to nurse the baby then having to pump in public. Plus your OALD might even get worse if you start to pump more which is what I am dealing with right now...baby is coping but still fuses a lot at the breast...we are working on it and I am being as patient as possible with my LO!! I agree with the pp also it you want to pump once a day to have a bottle for when you go out but remember whenever you give the baby a bottle it is a time where you should be pumping so as not to get engorged or mess with your supply...food for thought...
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Thank you all for your replies! Your advice and BTDT experience means so much to hear! We have been working on things here...it's so ridiculous some sessions. He is now starting to only nurse for 2-3 minutes and he is done, usually he has a choking spell, then when I get him all settled after that, I'll get a burp out, then try to latch him back on and he wants nothing to do with it, arching and crying and trying to poop and fart until we stop. He is so gassy. The advice of getting him to nurse during naps has worked well so far today, but he still only nurses for 5-7 min and he's full! It worries me about my supply, although I am definitely sure he is gaining, he is chunky and poops and urinates very frequently. Still extremely fussy at nights, pretty much inconsolable until about 10:30 pm when he completely wears himself out. I am having a hard time not taking it personally that he is refusing to nurse and cries at the breast! I am getting the Zantac in him 3 times a day, he spits most of it out and throws an absolute fit. We were on Prevacid for 2days and he was even worse than usual with the inconsolable evenings. So I stopped and now were back on Zantac. I swear, I am ready t o just go buy a can of enfamil and end this insanity! I fee like things are so out of control and I can hardly take care of my older two with things this way!

Please, somebody, tell me it will be worth it to keep this up! I'm losing my mind! I'm worried this more recent post with additional issues might not get seen, so I may repost in the 0-3 month area.
    ~Sarah, momma to
    Gracie 7/2006
    Keira 12/2009
    Parker 2/2013

Aw, mama, you sound so frustrated!

I totally understand why the can of formula seems so tempting at this difficult moment. Still, I wouldn't give up now. You're in the investment stage of breastfeeding. The payoff stage- that's still down the road.

I am thinking that part of your baby's issue must be the laryngomalacia, which I must admit is something I know almost nothing about. But I think the other part must be what people call "the witching hour(s)" or "evenings-only colic", which is something I've been through twice. It's the fussiness, inconsolable screaming, and breast refusal that can last for several hours in the evening. It's horrible and extremely distressing, but it's also textbook normal for babies this age. Her are some things that can help you with colicky evenings:
    - nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse- if the baby is willing!
    - white noise- radio static, dryer sounds, etc.
    - calm house- turn lights, tv, and stereo down or better yet, off
    - motion- rock, swing, stroll, bounce, etc.
    - warm bath- in the sink or with mom, no soap necessary!
    - trip outside
    - closeness- snuggle baby close in a sling
    - bottle of pumped milk
    As you might guess, the key to coping with the cranky evenings is to change the baby's incoming sensory stimuli. And to keep changing it up- a lot of the above work for a short period of time, and then you have to try something else. With my second LO, every night was bath in the sink night, and it was amazing- the water shut off the screaming like a light. But after a while my arms would get tired, and I'd dry her off, and she'd start crying again, so I'd have to try something new...

Whatever you do, don't switch to formula just because you think it will solve the issues you're having now. Because it won't. Formula doesn't make babies less fussy or time-consuming. It doesn't help you with your other kids. It doesn't mix itself, and it doesn't wash bottles. I have seen my formula-feeding friends with the same bags under their eyes that a nursing mom has- because formula doesn't make babies sleep through the night, either.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

With my first child, he was in the NICU and only had pumped milk and then we found he was tongue tied as well,so he never latched. I pumped exclusively for five months and had built a storage that lasted until he was eight months because I had a ton of milk.

Pumping exclusively is more time consuming but if its the only thing that is working, then trudge through with it. I was determined that I wanted my baby to have breast milk for at least six months so that kept me motivated to pump, even when out of the house.

I pumped every four hours no matter what. If you are going to exclusively pump, buy many spare parts so you aren't washing all day. It's hard to maintain the schedule but if you are determined, it's manageable. It also allowed my husband to take some night feedings which was nice. He is disappointed this time around that he can't participate in the feeding time.

Good luck!