Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems since my milk came in(sorry a little long)

Default Problems since my milk came in(sorry a little long)

I have had issues with my LO who is now 3m since my milk came in. In the hospital she latched right away and nursed great for the first 3 days. From then on she would nurse every other hour for an hour and never seem satisfied. She never has had a great latch on my left side so used a nipple shield on that side for a while, found out her neck had a kink. Then had mastitis on that side. Then at around 2m she got really sick and was unable to nurse for 2w. When she got better she wouldn't nurse at all and it took a week and a half to come back to breast. Then after doing great for three days she would only nurse on the good side for a whole day then only her bad side the whole day and now she is on strike! I am so frustrated and with my other two I gave up about 2-3 days after my milk came in and pumped for three months. Well today is my LO 3m bday and I am so sick of pumping after trying to nurse or only getting her to nurse on one side and she is still hungry but wont nurse on the other. I have tried skin to skin and baby carrying. She is a fussy baby and doesn't sleep much at all during the day so I spend most days holding my 16lb baby.
    27mommaof3

Default Re: Problems since my milk came in(sorry a little long)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making it through 3 frustrating months! It's wonderful that you've made it so far.

So at this point, are you doing a combination of breast and bottle? If so, how often do you give a bottle, and when do you give it- at the beginning of a feeding, or at the end? How often does baby nurse? And where does baby sleep? (I promise, these are relevant questions!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry it took me so long to respond I got locked out yesterday. Anyways, I feed her breast and pumped bm bottles. I mostly only give her a bottle at night because I'm exhausted and then when she either refuses the breast or if its not convenient to nurse. We are really bad about in nursing in public, big breasts and she hates having her head covered. She usually ends up getting on a good day 2-3 bottles. She nurses every 2-3 hours and has become more efficient and only nurse 5-10 mins per side now. If I give her a bottle its only after attempting to nurse. Since baby was sick I can only get her to sleep swaddled in her car seat next to my side of the bed. Before that in a bass next to my bed. I would be all for co-sleeping if my husband wasn't such a bed hog and a very sound sleeper.
    27mommaof3

Thanks for supplying more information!

I am thinking that part of the issue could be the bottles. If a baby likes the bottle- and a lot of babies do because they require so little effort- she may learn to fuss in order to get one. I'd love to see you take a nursing vacation- just spend a couple of days simply hanging out with the baby and nursing as much as possible. Try to go without bottles for a couple of days, and see if your LO's nursing behavior improves. I know that's kind of scary to contemplate, especially when you have older kids who need your care!

I'd also love to see you and baby find a better sleep solution, one that maximizes sleep for you. If your DH is a sound sleeper and a bed hog, send him packing for a little while. Have him sleep in the guest room, couch, or with the other kids. If he whines, remind him that "if mama ain't happy, ain't no-one happy!" A lot of couples- including my husband and myself- sleep apart when there's a new baby in the equation.

Nursing in public (NIP) can be difficult when you have larger breasts and a smaller baby. Are you a very shy person, or do you think you might be comfortable nursing without a cover? I have a large chest and I also hate nursing covers, so I've found other ways to nurse without showing more than the minimum necessary. For example, layers: if you wear 2 layers, one that can be pulled up and one that can be pulled down, you can expose just the bare essentials. Or you can invest in a nursing top, which is basically 2 layers in one shirt. It can also really help to nurse in front of a mirror, which can help you gain confidence as you realize just how little you're actually showing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Bottles may be the issue but since lo has recovered from being sick I have tried to bf as much as possible. I'm only away from her 3hr a week. But for whatever reason if I nurse at night she has a harder time going back to sleep. Before being sick my lo would sleep 8-9hr a night and being a bigger baby I didn't bother waking her.That and she doesn't sleep much during the day. Since then she gets up 1-2 times a night so we get enough sleep, I just cant get her to sleep laying down anymore unless being held. About NIP I am not shy but the only places I go other than home are the in-laws and church and neither of them are places I would like to flash someone. My lo is squirmy so even with layers and nursing tops its hard to not show more than I want to. I'm pretty sure my lo is teething so that might be the reason for the strike. So far today only one small bottle!
    27mommaof3

Let me rephrase the "we get enough sleep" she is a great baby during the night sleeps 6-8hrs in a row I however suffer from insomnia so any time I wake up it is extremely difficult for me to fall back asleep. So I bottle feed because it wakes me up less.
    27mommaof3

Huh, that's the first time I've ever heard someone say that bottle-feeding makes them wake up less than nursing! With my kids, nursing was always so much easier- the baby would start to wake up, and I would sleepily put a breast in her mouth (we co-slept), and before the baby was even done nursing I would have drowsed off again. When I used bottles- and I had to, with my firstborn- it was wake all the way up, go warm the bottle in the kitchen, come back to the bedroom, feed the baby while staying wide awake the whole time because I had to hold the bottle, then rock the baby back to sleep, and finally, finally get back into bed myself, at which point sleep was quite difficult!

Hi 27mommaof3, congrats on nursing your baby for three months after having rough times in the early days with your older kids. I am sorry it has been a frustrating experience for you.

Maybe bottles do work best for you, everyone is different. But based on what you have told us, I agree with mommal. Your baby's newborn behavior sounds normal to me, so despite the issues with poor latch and mastitis you had early on, unless I am missing something, it sounds as if issues you are having now started when you had to bottle feed.

One other possibility is that whatever caused baby neck problems/discomfort or poor latch early on is still affecting babies ability to nurse comfortably. You don't mention anything that suggests forceful letdown issues but that can also cause a baby to refuse to nurse.

But there is little doubt that the frequent (daily) use of bottles and/or pacifiers will very often lead to baby no longer nursing well, or being impatient on the breast, or refusing to nurse, etc. It's just a fact. Some call it bottle preference, some call it nipple confusion, one doctor calls this 'triple nipple syndrome.' It does not happen to all babies, and sometimes bottles are used a long time before any issues arise, but it is certainly real and causes very difficult breastfeeding issues when it happens.

If your baby can be encouraged to nurse, is gaining well when nursing exclusively (or on your daily milk production) and there are no separations, there is no real need for bottles. No bottles, no need to pump. So generally, nursing is easier. What you have been doing with the nursing and the pumping and the bottles is usually much much harder, way more work overall. It's wondeful you have done this in order to keep nursing your baby, but going this direction is a ton more work.
    And there is nothing unusual about a 3 month old, bottle or breastfed, waking to nurse or eat several times a night. That is just normal. In fact a sleep stretch of 6 hours or more is pretty unusual at this age.

So if you want, you can try getting off the bottle and pumping treadmill to see if that improves the situation. It will probably be a process and will take some time and patience.

If you want to try that, I would suggest starting by using some of the various ideas in this article for gently encouraging baby to nurse. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

At night I'm a bit lazy and just use formula and then end up pumping 10-12oz in the morning. Up until a week or two ago my lo would sleep 6-8hr stretches after filling up as much as possible. But not anymore she is waking up more and more and it is getting more and more diff to get back to sleep. If my dh didnt have such a physically demanding job I would kick him to the couch. I am trying to explore other sleeping arrangements especially because the only way i can get my lo to sleep in swaddled in her car seat. For the most part I would really like to eliminate bottles or at least pumping. But on the bright side my lo has been nursing great for the last 4-5 days and her neck seems better and she is choking much less with my sometimes heavy let down.
    27mommaof3

Ok, i get it now. You thought your baby was sleeping those long stretches due to being fed formula. And it's not working now because, while overstuffing a baby with a bottle of anything may make them sleep longer than normal for a time, it is just as likely to cause a baby to wake MORE often than normal due to discomfort. Or simply not do anything. I guess that is why you are/were giving bottles of formula instead of your expressed milk?

But in any case, you have a choice. You can keep doing things this way. It may be fine for a while. But over time you run a very high risk of reducing your milk production. Even if you have overproduction now, not nursing all night will lead to low production. Just as babies are not made to sleep super long stretches at night without eating, our bodies are not made to not nurse all night. Your breasts are getting very full at night and that fullness is telling your body to stop making milk.

Or you can try exclusively nursing, nursing on cue and nursing at night, and see how that goes. I suggest, give it a little time for you, your body and your baby to get used to this new way of doing things. Then, If you don't like it, you can always go back to how you are doing things now, no harm done. On the other hand, if you keep on your current course and your milk production becomes inadequate, that may not be reversible and even if it is, increasing too-low milk production is certainly a lot of work.