Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sterilization and storage questions

Default Sterilization and storage questions

Hi

I'm new to breastfeeding and don't understand storage and transferring to bottles....

1. If I store in bags, can I sterilize bottles in advance? Then transfer from bag to bottle before feeding?
    2. How can i transport sterilized bottles? For example, if i sterilize bottle, add expressed milk right away, how do I store bottle and keep sterile? This is for bottles with teat and lid; not medela bottles with trAvel cap (which is what I pump into)
    3.can I freeze milk from fridge after 3 days?
    4.can I sterilize hottest and cap /store empty? How long are they sterile ( using microwave sterilizer)

Thanks!

Default Re: Sterilization and storage questions

Hi mama!

If you have a healthy, full-term infant (or older), then there is no need to sterilize anything. I sterilized my pump parts once every couple of months, but even that wasn't strictly necessary. Most people sterilize the first time they open new bottles from the box; I did about half of mine.

I think most people who freeze in bags then defrost/warm in bag, and pour into a bottle for feeding.

If you're transporting bottles full of milk, I would keep the screw cap on the bottle - pretty much any bottle that's sold has both the screw cap and the nipple cap, right? If you have a specific need for sterilized bottles, let us know and we can help you brainstorm.

Yes, you can freeze milk from fridge after 3 days. BUt if you know you're going to freeze it anyway, it's better to do it immediately, since the longer it's stored, the more it breaks down.

I would think that bottles etc would stay sterile as long as you keep them in a sterile environment ... which is basically nowhere in most houses Again, let us know if you have a specific need for sterilization and we can help you brainstorm.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks
    I have no specific needs for sterilization just read I'm supposed to sterilize bottles before using for feeding; I assumed before every feed

The bottles i have (tt closer to nature) only have the nipple and cap for over that but no travel lid. So, once I thaw the milk, do I put it right in the tommee tippee bottle and cap it or do I transport in bag and then add to bottle just before feeding?

No, no need to sterilize.

i haven't used the tommee tippee bottles; i would just experiment to see how much they leak. if you're transporting them, you might just throw the frozen bags in, because thent hey'll stay cold longer.

but why are you transporting milk for feeding your little one? are you EPing? that's a hard road. or avoiding nursing in public? there's lots of mamas here who can give great advice about making things easier on yourself, if you want it
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

i need to transport as we need to have him babysat this weekend by his grandparents

I'm not sure what EPing stands for (new to forum) however i think it might be for exclusively pumping.....at this time I'm not only pumping but would like to pump a couple of times daily to build a supply for hubby to have opportunities to bottle feed as well as for when we need to have baby watched

I only sterilized bottle parts when I first took them out of the package (in boiling water for 5 mins). And like Audery above I do the same for my pump parts every few months. Otherwise I just wash parts with hot soapy water (or run parts thru dishwasher in a top rack basket). At this point my baby gets so many germs from the floor, his hands, trying to eat grass/leaves/dirt, putting his mouth on every.single.thing in my house ... I can't imagine there's anything on his bottle parts that will do any worse.

I think the sterilization concerns might be more relevant for vulnerable babies (like babies who are premies and/or other health conditions, or maybe formula fed newborns who aren't getting mom's immunities from breastmilk?). But if that's not the case for you, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stay.rob View Post
    i need to transport as we need to have him babysat this weekend by his grandparents

I'm not sure what EPing stands for (new to forum) however i think it might be for exclusively pumping.....at this time I'm not only pumping but would like to pump a couple of times daily to build a supply for hubby to have opportunities to bottle feed as well as for when we need to have baby watched
    got it. yep, EP is exclusively pumping. if you're going for the whole weekend, remember that frozen milk is only good for about 24 hours after it defrosts, so you'll probably want to bring most of the milk still frozen in bags. welcome to the forum!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13