Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: For how long should I wake my little one every two hours?

Default For how long should I wake my little one every two hours?

My baby is just about one month old. Since birth, I wake him every two hours to eat. How long should I continue this? At night, I don't wake him and he seems to have a set schedule of two to three hour stretches.

I am new to BF so I am not sure of all the ins and outs

Default Re: For how long should I wake my little one every two hours

Is he gaining well? Having 5-6 wet diapers per 24 hours? If so, he's getting plenty and it sounds like he's on a pretty regular routine even without you waking him. At this point I'd let him sleep. Even if he occasionally goes longer than 2-3 hours (which may happen if you're lucky ). It shouldn't be a problem unless there is an issue with him not gaining weight or not eating enough during the day. Or if you get painfully engorged, you might want to wake him to get yourself some relief. Other than that I think you're good to let him sleep if he will.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: For how long should I wake my little one every two hours

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.