Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow start to solids - are we on the right track?

Default slow start to solids - are we on the right track?

Hi ladies, just want a little feedback on the solids front -- if we're on the right track and if there's anything more/different we should be doing?

At 6 mos we started offering purees and softened/slightly mashed fruits and veggies (we tried avocado, banana, sweet potato, apple, pear, peach, mango). We tried them straight, and mixed with BM; we tried them on a spoon, on my finger, and on his tray letting him play in them. Very little interest, not even as a sensory experience, although he likes playing with the spoon. (I kind of feel like Sam I Am -- “In a spoon, on a tray, try them mashed, try a puree … I do not like them Sam I Say!”). We realized he didn't want the mushy stuff and didn’t want to be spoon fed, so once the pincer grasp was developed a few months ago, we fell into a BLS style approach, beginning with small dices, then later wedges, of soft fruits. Recently I've been giving him tastes of table food off my plate. He seems put off by the touch of a lot of it, and whenever a taste made it past his lips (mostly because he would lick his fingers or spoon after it touched the food, not because he put it in his mouth on purpose), he would get pretty angry about it! I wondered if he just needed more tastes of the food to get past the newness of the flavors, so I just kept sitting him with me while I ate my meals and gave him the opportunity to play with the foods and spoon in his highchair, and figured he would change his mind about the foods eventually. I was also sending a little bit of solids with him to daycare every day so that he would get daily opportunities to play/taste there as well.

So now he is 11 mos, and over the past few weeks, he has taken a slight interest in three things: smushed fresh blueberries, cheerios (he likes to crunch them - he has 8 teeth), and most surprisingly, MEAT (shreds of chicken and brisket, ground meats, etc.) Meanwhile his reaction to the taste of those three foods has changed from being angry/upset about it to more like surprise and curiosity, but still not enjoyment. He doesn’t swallow any of it … he sucks on it, sometimes gags, and always spits them out. So he is still 100% BF between nursing at home & bottles of EBM at daycare, with no end in sight for pumping for me :-/

I’m just wondering if any other mamas here had a similar slow progress with solids for their babies, and what is a realistic expectation for when he might eventually decide to swallow the food, instead of spitting it out. Also, I thought breastfed babies were supposed to like sweet things, but he seems to have a preference for the savory stuff -- should I keep offering the fruits and veggies (and likewise, the textures he seems to dislike) in the hopes that he develops an interest for them, or just go with the meat thing for now? How closely related are these early behaviors with solids and future eating habits (is this an indication that I’ll have a picky eater on my hands?). Thanks for your thoughts!

Default Re: slow start to solids - are we on the right track?

I'm having similar issues with my 10-month old and glad to see I'm not alone. Was going to put a post to see if anyone had any ideas too. Started pureed foods around 7months, and he just never seemed to interested either. I had to distract him to get a few spoonfuls in. Usually, he would just shut his lips together. A few weeks ago, I gave up on spoon feeding and started trying BLF at the suggestion of an OT that works with my eldest, but he still barely eats anything. Sometimes, he'll play with some foods, but others he doesn't touch anything on the tray at all. The only thing he willingly puts in his mouth are rice crackers and he'll eat little puffs if I feed them to him (but he won't try to feed the puff to himself). He's tried to munch on apples and a piece of chicken once, but never again. If you're baby takes anything, I would just go with it. Maybe give him what he likes and add a new thing each time to see if he'll try it. I keep hoping he'll have a sudden revelation of how good food taste one of these days!
    I'm trying very very hard to not pressure him too much to eat. I have a 3 year old that still needs to be fed, and I don't want similar issues with this one.
    Good luck!

My son is 17 months old and didn't really start eating "heartily" until about 15 months. He, too, is a carnivore/lactivore even now. He oscillates from EBM, to eating a few nibbles here and there, to days where he eats as much as me. I try to take things in stride as be is healthy and thriving. BLS won't let you down.

My son really ramped up his solids intake for a two week period when he was 16 months...and he sprouted quite a bit in that time, only to reduce his intake afterwards. Your LO will likely follow a similar trend as growth spurts surface.

Good luck! Ask away if you'd like further reassurance. It can be rough feeling like your child is the only one not eating.

I actually don't think that an 11 month old who isn't eating much solids is a "slow starter" - even the AAP says that milk or formula should be the primary food until 12 months. I guess in a culture where we're obsessive about feeding 4 month olds cereal, it seems slow, though! So I would not worry about this; babies will start eating solids when they're ready for them. Just keep offering a variety of healthy options. I find my son tends to take up more solids in spurts - all of a sudden he'll up his intake a lot. I also think that meat is a very common preferred first food - it was my son's first thing too!

This isn't very reassuring if you're still stuck on the pump ... I understand ... but it really will change very soon!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for the reassurance! I think you're right, I have to just be patient and not worry about it and trust it will all work out.

Oddly enough, the day after I wrote that post, my LO surprised me ... I had given him a frozen fruit teether (he was actively teething on his first molar - at 11 mos, holy moly) and he pushed it away, so I set it aside and forgot about it. About 30 mins later he got his hands on it again, and the peaches had melted to room temp, and he WENT TO TOWN on it. Of course he's refused peaches since then, but at least I know he's willing to try new tastes, if it's his idea

I continue to offer him bits of table food and he has tried a few new things over the past week (apple, cheese). Sometimes he gets pretty enthusiastic about the process of self-feeding, biting and sucking the food, although still spitting everything out. But I decided to take all of it as positive signs that he is experimenting with new flavors and textures.

I also had a little bit of success with the spoon yesterday. Even though I think the BLS is the right approach for him, given his independence, he was constipated and really fussing/straining, poor thing ... so I decided to try some prune puree. So I put some puree on the spoon (really just coated the entire spoon with it), gave it to him, he sucked on it all over and got excited. Then I helped him "feed" me with it a few times, which he thought was hilarious... and then he started going for it himself! I never pushed it into his face, I would just put some puree on it and hold it out for him, letting him take it and put it in his mouth if he wanted it, and he did it 4-5 times on his own. So I was pretty happy with that outcome.

that all sounds about where i would expect an 11 month old to be!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Just wanted to give an update -- my LO seems to have had a breakthrough on the solids front. About one week before his 1st birthday, he suddenly started swallowing almost all his solids! I think he knew there was some birthday cake in his future...

photo(3).jpg

Now he's going after finger foods with enthusiasm. I give him bites of almost everything off our plates and he devours it all. His favorite thing is meat (all types) which is really funny to me -- little carnivore, taking after DH!

Anyway thanks for the reassurance and reminding me to be patient! Like usual, LO had a plan and I just had to listen

Glad to hear it's working out...and I just wanted to say that you're little guy is adorable

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    Glad to hear it's working out...and I just wanted to say that you're little guy is adorable
    Very cute!

Terrific! And he's very cute. Dibs for my DD2.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"