Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about sleeping

Default Question about sleeping

Heya...

I'm wrapping my brains/ trying to find a answer to another difficulty, this time regarding my babies sleep.

My 7 month old baby's sleep has never been great but he did go through a period between 2-4 months where he would sleep good stretches at night. Since then it has become worse to the point that if he gets any sleep at night, I'm lucky.

Yet I think I sort-of know what I've done wrong. I now believe he slept so well because I swaddled him...he liked he's hands being wrapped & I NEVER wrapped his legs tightly. He always had room to move. Now I'm trying to 'wean' him of his arms being wrapped but whenever I leave a hand out or 'loosely' wrap a blanket round him, he can't settle or wakes within miuntes of me putting him down...

However if he sleeps in bed with me, he's happy to sleep with his hands above his head for about 3 hours???

Has anybody else experienced this? I really want to stop 'wrapping' his arms as I know he's going to be able to roll over any day now. I don't mind getting up 2-3 times a night for feeding.

Hope this makes sense
    Thanks in advance x
    xxx New Mummy to Oaklyn Taliesin-James Ward born 28.8.012 xxx
    xxx there's nothing like a mummy cuddle xxx

Default Re: Question about sleeping

So if baby is in bed with you, you get longer sleep stretches even when not swaddled? If so, why not just sleep with him?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Red face Re: Question about sleeping

My LO is 5 months and needs his arms swaddled to sleep (most of the time). I watch him wake himself back up with his seemingly uncontrollable movements if I don't. And same with you that he sleeps fine without being swaddled when in our bed. He's in the bed with us about 1/2 the time.

We swaddle and he did fine learning how to roll over. We gave him lots of time during the day to practice - I don't think the night swaddling interfered. I figure that the swaddling helps him sleep and sleep is important. I never even considered trying to "wean" him from it.

Hope this helps?

even if we co-sleep he still doesn't sleep great, and hubby is anti-co-sleeping. I think i'm gonna keep going but with a loose wrap & hope that he out-grows this waking every 1/2hr - hr cause he keeps bashing himself in his sleep.

Thanks for your replies x
    xxx New Mummy to Oaklyn Taliesin-James Ward born 28.8.012 xxx
    xxx there's nothing like a mummy cuddle xxx

IMO, the one who is doing the majority of the night-waking and night-feeding is the one who gets the last word on sleeping arrangements. If co-sleeping is better for you than not co-sleeping, your DH can always sleep in the guest bed for a few months. That's how my DH and I arranged things after DD2 was born. He couldn't sleep with me and the baby in the bed, so he bailed on us. Once baby moved out, he moved back in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had the same problem with dd1 and dd2 I ended up putting them to sleep in the pack and play next to me in the boppy. I know its not recommended for sleeping but it was the only thing that worked for me until they grew out of the startle reflex. I have a big dd3 and at 3m shes still swaddled but I have only been able to get her to sleep in her car seat since she had a bad cold. But then again that probably better than the boppy. I've tried to get her back to her back or side sleeping with no avail. Do you swaddle at nap time? I always try to transition sleeping during naps so its not so difficult at nap.
    27mommaof3

I have to admit I never swaddled so do not know much about it-is there some concern about swaddling after a certain age?

If bed sharing keeps baby sleeping 3 hours, that is good. A 7 month old waking every 3 hours, or, as you say, 2-3 times a night (night meaning how long an adult normally sleeps)-is not abnormal at all.

Is your husband concerned about safety or does he have some other concern?

If you are bedsharing, do not swaddle as well. It's not considered safe to do the two together, just fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eb.mom View Post
    We swaddle and he did fine learning how to roll over. We gave him lots of time during the day to practice - I don't think the night swaddling interfered. I figure that the swaddling helps him sleep and sleep is important. I never even considered trying to "wean" him from it.
    The concern about swaddling and rolling over isn't that it hinders learning to roll. Rather, once baby is strong enough to roll from back to stomach they could find themselves stuck on their belly, and their arms are unavailable to help push them back up if they are swaddled.

I also agree with PP that if your husband doesn't like to co-sleep but you and your baby do, then you can sleep in different beds. That is what we did for a long time. If he feels upset by this then just be honest, you need your sleep, and this is how you are going to get it. It won't last forever.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I had the same problem when I stopped swaddling my son. He was starting to roll over at 3 months, so he needed to have his arms free. But the first night I put him down in a footed-sleeper, he woke every hour and it was terrible!

This is what worked for us: I put him in the Halo swaddle wrap, with the wrap fairly tight around his arms but no so tight that he couldn't wiggle one or both out. The first week, he'd wake himself up (more times than just needing to eat) with one arm usually out, occassionally both would be out. I'd nurse, re-wrap, and put him back in bed. After about 2 weeks, he was sleeping a bit better. I then switched him to a long-sleeved sleepsack (Carter's brand), and the next week or so he woke up sometimes because his arms were free, but in about a week or so he was sleeping as well as he had when swaddled. Now we use the Halo sleeveless sleep sacks. He moves/rolls around a lot, and the sleep sack covers his legs like a blanket but stays on him whereas a blanket would not. He can crawl, sit, and even stand up in his crib with it on. He's 10 months now and I'm planning to continue to use the Halo sacks for awhile; he's in the medium size, and they go up to XL.

If you are looking to put him in his own bed, I think some kind of transition from the swaddle will help him. And of course time. Any adjustment to baby's sleep, especially the comfort of a swaddle, will take time. He may be upset about it now, but give it a few weeks and he should adapt. I agree with PP that once baby starts to roll over he really needs his arms free for safety reasons.

Good luck mama! After this problem, the next will be constant waking because of teething....this is why I'm currently not getting much sleep. But that, too, will pass...