Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wisdom teeth removal and the meds that go with it.

Default Wisdom teeth removal and the meds that go with it.

I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed on the 18th. I thought that I would only pump and dump for the day that I had the procedure. A local LLL member informed me that once I was no longer under the influence of the strong meds taken during the surgery I would be fine. However, I spoke to the oral surgeon about it and he said that I should abstain from BF'ing for three whole days due to the steroids he'll be prescribing. I was going to try and pump enough BM for three days, but I'm not going to make it. My little guy nurses so much that I have little milk left to pump. I was going to buy formula, but he's never had it, and I would like to keep it that way. I'm wondering if it's possible to go without the steroids? I know there will be a lot of swelling, but the thought of not being able to nurse for three or four days really bothers me.

Do you think it's crazy to go without the steroids? I'm sure I'll be taking an antibiotic and pain meds like Norco and Ibu over and above the steroids. I took those same meds with my C-section though(aside from the antibiotic).

Default Re: Wisdom teeth removal and the meds that go with it.

Call the oral surgeon and get the names of the drugs that he wants to use. Specifics, please- not just "a steroid" or "a narcotic". Then call Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com/ Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time, (806)-352-2519. They should be able to provide a definitive answer about medications.

It is absolutely possible to have wisdom teeth removed without the full complement of drugs that your surgeon wants to use. I had mine taken out with Novocaine only, and for follow-up had only Vicodin (Tylenol + codeine).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Has your oral surgeon seen your teeth? If they are fully erupted then it might be, as mommal said, as simiple as a regular tooth extraction. If it requires actual surgery then things are more complicated. Sounds like more phone calls are in order. I would hate for you stress about this then on the day of the extraction find out it was for nothing.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I was planning on calling him. The steroids are for after the surgery to keep the swelling down. The surgery is not simple unfortunately. They are impacted.

So were mine. I still didn't get prescribed a steroid.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I didn't get steroids either. I agree with mommal about finding out the drug names and calling infantrisk. If it's prednisone, it's not contraindicated. Some authorities recommend delaying BF'ing (or pumping and dumping) within 4 hours of taking a dose greater than 20 mg, others disagree with that recommendation - not sure where Dr. Hale (of infantrisk) stands on that. Either way, that's a lot better than pumping and dumping for 3 whole days.

I would look into whether steroids are even necessary. I had four impacted wisdom teeth extracted when I was 18. I was prescribed Vicodin and ibuprofen. Both of which I know are okay during nursing since they are routinely given to mothers after c-sections.