Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long before Thrush clears up?

Default How long before Thrush clears up?

Just wondering how long this thrush will stick around for? we started Treatment on sat/sun and still no improvements. He's getting the Nystatin orally n Acidophilus powder. I'm taking the Acidophilus, nystatin cream and the Miconazole(started this morning)....

I'm just really impatient abt it..going back to work soon and don't want daycare provider having to deal with the mild thrush...

anybody know how long? or does it just vary from baby to baby?

Default Re: How long before Thrush clears up?

It does vary, depending on how vigilent you are. Follow the instructions for his medecine exactly. And absolutely everything that goes in his mouth should be boiled before going in again...except your breast of course..lol. It shouldn't take more then a week for his symptoms to go away if you're vigilant about it. The treatment should be continued for 2 weeks AFTER his symptoms disappear. The trick is to make sure you are completely cleared up as well or he will just pick it up from you again. Good luck

the pp is right...it depends on how viligent you are and also how persistent the yeast is. dd and i battled thrush for 4 months...yes, 4 months. she was on 3 rounds of nystatin, 1 round of infant diflucan, and i was on 2 rounds of diflucan. i also used the all purpose nipple ointment. what finally worked for us was 4 applications of gentian violet. that was our pedi's final recommendation, and it worked...messy, but it worked. we've been clear for a couple weeks now (knock on wood).

here's a link with good information Yeast and Thrush.

good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I had thrush as well and I was advised by my LC and pediatrician to use Nystatin for ds and Newman's ointment for me over the Gentian Violet. I didn't use the Gentian Violet because I heard that it was quite messy and that there are other remedies that work better. I started ds on Nystatin and w/in five days the thrush was gone. I used the Newman's ointment for about 2 weeks because I wanted to make sure that it didn't come back! I can totally sympathize because I battled thrush for almost 2 months. I had to call my OB to get the prescription for the ointment. It is seriously the best thing that I got to get through the thrush. It worked so well...I totally recommend it to women with thrush. If you decide to get the ointment, you need to make sure htat you get it from a compounding pharmacy:

Any pharmacist should be able to make up this ointment, but not all want to. Not all pharmacies carry all the ingredients. If you are having difficulties, ask the pharmacist for the nearest compounding pharmacy.

I know that this is a hard thing to deal with, but I know that you can get through it! Good luck .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

I agree with the pp's. DEFINITELY follow all recommendations by your doctors as far as taking - and finishing the medication, even after you think the symptoms of thrush have cleared. With DD#1 I did not completely finish the medication and we ended up passing it back and forth for almost three months! It was awful. Also, make sure you boil any pacifiers, breast pump parts and bottle parts to sterilize. It's important. I use the Medela micro steam bags even now for breast pump parts & pacifiers. They are great and I highly recommend them.

Good luck to you - hopefully it will clear very soon!

Hiya ladies,
    I'm in the middle of a persistent oral thrush battle at the moment with my 11 month old son. He's had it for almost 3 months now which means almost daily trips to the doctor to be treated with gentian violet. It does kill the thrush but always returns a couple of days later. I don't seem to have any symptoms and have not been treated at all but I think it must be me that's passing it back to him? I'll be returning to work next month when my son turns 1 and I'm being as careful as possible to boil anything that goes near his mouth but I just feel like we're going around in circles. Do you think I should ask to be treated for thrush too?

YES YES YES...you must be treated. It's possible that you dont have thrush, but if you are bfing and your LO keeps getting thrush, you should definitely get treated yourself.

I stoped putting him to the breast ( i can't wait untill this thush is gone I MISSS NURSING HIM!!! ) just to try and speed up the process.. how do i know its gone from my nipples?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicana06 View Post
    I stoped putting him to the breast ( i can't wait untill this thush is gone I MISSS NURSING HIM!!! ) just to try and speed up the process.. how do i know its gone from my nipples?
    if you no longer have the following symptons, i'd say that the yeast is probably gone...
    -Itchy or burning nipples that appear pink or red, shiny, flaky, and/or have a rash with tiny blisters.
    -Cracked nipples.
    -Shooting pains in the breast during or after feedings.
    -Intense nipple or breast pain that is not improved with better latch-on and positioning.
    -Deep breast pain.
    ...see more in this LLL link about thrush
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I am also frusterated and really miss nursing him. We have been using Gential violet and APNO for 3 days now....