Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby latches for 20 seconds,kicks and thrashes

Default Re: Baby latches for 20 seconds,kicks and thrashes

Thanks for the suggestions. I had baby weighed yesterday and she is 11lb 7oz and 2 weeks ago she was 10lb 2oz so in two weeks she has gained 21oz so I am relieved about that. Yesterday was a typical day when she breastfed well in the night and morning but come 3 o clock when I knew she was hungry but absolutely refused to have the breast so Ipad to give her a bottle, when she had nearly finished I took the bottle out and put the breast in and she took it. I hate to say it but she could be just plain naughty taking it on aNd off when she feels like it.she doesn't have colicky pain when she is drinking the bottle so its not colic if it suddenly stops.and it can't be oversupply because I don't squirt or leak.andneven when the breast feels full she sometimes refuses so it can't be under supply and she's gaining weight well.maybe she's just tired and wants to sleep, the thing is when I fed all my other babies a quick suck at the breast when they were tired always got them off to sleep and basically cured all their problems.any way am pushing on as best I can.maybe she just wants the best of both worlds.

Well, we know that most babies nurse best when calm. This is one reason cue feeding is so vital, because baby is often calmer if nursed at the earliest cues. But some babies will at times ramp up from 0 to 60 and are frantic well before mom can even get the breast out! So she may have just needed to be calmed with the bottle and then, once calmed, was able to nurse! This-offering a little milk in the bottle at first- is actually a technique for encouraging the reluctant nurser to the breast.

If this is part of the problem, this could be the key to dealing with it-offer baby just a little milk in the bottle (if other instant reward techniques do not work) and then nurse. I would try to keep bottles to a minimum for many reasons, but I am also a big believer in doing what works.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*motherofsix View Post
    .she doesn't have colicky pain when she is drinking the bottle so its not colic if it suddenly stops
    I'm going to quibble with the above. Colic is defined as unexplained crying that lasts for 3 or more hours per day, 3 or more days per week, and for longer than 3 weeks in an infant who is otherwise healthy and well-nourished (see http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0815/p735.html). It's not necessarily about pain, and it's not something that is necessarily unstoppable. In my experience, you can make the crying/screaming/fussing stop- at least temporarily!- if you find the right stimulus. For my second daughter, the right stimulus was a bath. For my first daughter, the right stimulus was a bottle- and I really wish I had figured out that I could potentially swap the breast in for the bottle! That would have meant a lot less formula for her and a lot less heartache for me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi, just to let you all know that baby is now 11 weeks and feeding beautifully.ithe only way I got her to feed was to wait till she was half asleep then give her breast, also gave her some bottle and half way through whipped it out and put the breast in.now she is fully breastfeed.so I want to encourage all mums struggling with a baby that seems to reject the breast it was just a phase for my baby and I just pushed through it.

Great news! thanks so much for the update!

Well done! So glad to hear.