Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby latches for 20 seconds,kicks and thrashes

Default Baby latches for 20 seconds,kicks and thrashes

Please advise, baby is 8 weeks and after overcoming really cracked bleeding nipples am still trying to feed.at night she feeds well and in the morning but in afternoon and evening I can only get her to latch for 20 seconds then she pulls off cries kicks,then I rematch and same thing happens.have tried winding her more an she always burps.sometimes when she feeds she sounds like she's drowning and I can hear it like its going down the wrong way.when I give her a bottle in exasperation she gulps it straight down without all the trashing and crying.she is my sixth child and I breastfeed all the others with no problem so what is wrong is it colic, silent reflux(if so she would still kick and cry when having a bottle)is it that there is not enough milk later in the day.her birth was a c section but I don't think that makes any difference as I had two before and I am quite well rested. Reall would like to know what's wrong thanks

Default Re: Baby latches for 20 seconds,kicks and thrashes

Sounds to me like oversupply or overactive letdown, not too little milk, if you say you can hear her gulping... Is she pulling off crying after letdown (if you can feel/tell when that happens)? Are you leaking or spraying a lot when she pulls off? Here is a good checklist to help you determine whether this is the case: http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

My baby acted much the same way when my oversupply was at its worst--always seemed relieved and happy to take a bottle, very fussy about nursing except when sleepy (at night). It's best to try and limit bottle use and work on ways to coax her to the breast. She will learn and get better at handling the fast flow if this is the problem, but in the meantime you can do things like nurse leaning back/reclining so gravity is working for her. See that article for more suggestions. Good luck!

Thank for you suggestion, I'm starting to think its not oversupply as I don't leak at all and there is no spraying when she pulls off.i feel it's under supply because the way she knocks back the bottle is like she's starving.maybe she can't be bothered to wait for the let down which could be a bit slow?how did you resolve the same problem?

Hm, okay. How many wet diapers in a 24 hour period? Is her weight gain good? I have only been at this for seven months myself so I'm hoping someone more experienced comes in to help, but I've learned that those two factors are much more helpful at indicating a possible low supply problem rather than behavior. Fussy nursing behavior is very normal at that age. Try skimming this article if you have the time--it lists a whole bunch of possible reasons for fussiness. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/chil...while-nursing/

Again, I'm only a first time mom with a few months' experience, so *bump* in case others have better ideas for you... I've been there though, it's quite frustrating and I can't imagine having several other children to care for while trying to figure things out. Hang in there.

Babies will almost always take a bottle even after a perfectly adequate feeding. Not knowing any better, I once fed my newborn a 5 oz bottle and then another 2 oz- and this was after she had nursed! But she kept crying and chugging down the formula... And then she threw up all over the place! What is happening is that babies love to suck. And when they suck on a bottle, they get a fast flow of milk regardless of whether they are sucking eagerly for nutrition, or lazily for comfort. This is why even the most sensitive bottle-feeding parent will sometimes overfeed a baby.

My thinking is that because your baby is fine in the morning, the issue probably isn't to do with supply. I think it's more likely to be colic, which can be a really shocking experience the first time you deal with it. That being said, how has baby's diaper output and weight gain been this far? And can you tell us more about how nursing feels- for example, when do you have the most pain, are you cracked and if so what do the cracks look like, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry-more questions....I am also curious about weight gain. When you give bottles, is it pumped milk or formula? Did the bottles start after this fussy behavior or previously, due to the nipple injury? I am wondering if it could just be some kind of nipple/flow 'confusion.'

Also has changing up positioning been tried?

if you think it's the slow letdown, have you tried instant reward techniques? there are some suggested here http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Weight gain is just about ok she was weighed at 7 weeks and dr said it was ok.she sleeps well at night sometimes 6 or 7 hours so she must be satisfied.if it was colic why doesn't she cry and kick then?have been putting her on the breast more today and breasts sort of feel fuller.last night she was due a feed but wouldn't even latch on when I offered the breast she screamed till she got the bottle.maybe she can't wait for let down later in the day?it can't be silent reflux because again she would scream when having bottle and she doesn't.so that leaves me thinking its maybe colic right down deep in the guts and/or slow let down.very frutstrating.

Just to answer you the bottles she has are formula because I don't have the time or patience to pump as I have 5 other children.topping up with formula is not a problem for me but breast rejection is.i gave some bottles since day one so it could be nipple confusion but why only later in the day maybe because this is when the milk flow has slowed down.have tried other positions but once she has decided she's not latching that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*motherofsix View Post
    she sleeps well at night sometimes 6 or 7 hours so she must be satisfied.if it was colic why doesn't she cry and kick then?
    Colic doesn't necessarily last all day long. There are colicky babies who are miserable and screaming all day long, but there are a lot more who are colicky only for a certain part of the day- and this tends to be the later afternoon/evening.

Some things to try for evening colic:
    - Nurse, nurse nurse nurse nurse- if baby is willing!
    - Calm house- lights, tv, and stereo down or off (I know this is going to be tough with 6 other kids running around!)
    - Motion- rock, swing, bounce, stroller ride, car ride
    - White noise- dryer sounds, vacuum noises, radio static
    - Closeness- snuggle baby close in a sling
    - Warm bath- either give baby a bath in the sink or get into the tub with her. Many babies who won't nurse in the evenings will do so when they are snuggled up with mom in some nice warm water!
    - Trip outside
    - Evening bottle- obviously best if you put breastmilk in it, but I totally get why that may not be possible with so many other children to care for.
    Coping with colic is all about changing the baby's sensory input. You have to short-circuit the fussy brain until you get through the difficult hours. And you have to be patient- this is a short period in your baby's life, I promise! I've been through colicky evenings with 2 kids, and it tends to start at around 3 weeks, peak at around 6 weeks, and be completely gone by 3-6 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. My youngest had a colicky period of about 3 hours of screaming and fussing every evening and then slept great.

I would suggest, 6 or 7 hours is pretty long for a 8 week old to be sleeping every night. Just slightly on the long side. Long stretches like this can sometimes cause issues with weight gain and milk production. Some babies will sleep long hours despite not getting enough, and this can become quite serious. I know your doctor said weight gain was ok but I would feel better if I knew what the weight gain actually was...

Also is baby getting a pacifier at night or being swaddled? Both can sometimes lead to a baby sleeping though normal hunger cues.

The long stretches of sleep may be fine and mean nothing of course.
    But SOMETHING is not right if a breastfeeding mom has to keep resorting to bottles. Baby should be able to get enough milk at the breast. Maybe encouraging baby to nurse more when baby is relaxed at night is the key to getting more into baby so bottles are not needed.