Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost Sttn at 2.5 months

Default Almost Sttn at 2.5 months

My little girl is 2.5 months old and is sleeping very long stretches at night. I love the sleep but I am scared she is going too long between feelings. For example, tonight she nursed around 9 pm and then I woke up around 3:30 am and woke her and nursed. However, I can only get her to stay awake long enough for 1 side. Until recently, I was waking up really full, but now that doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. Is my body adjusting to her needs or should I start pumping at night to keep up my supply? I have tried setting an alarm to get up and nurse her but I have been turning it off when it rings and falling back to sleep. How long is too long to go at night at this age? She nurses well during the day- it feels like she nurses about 25 times but it is probably more like 10-12 times. At her 2 month appt she weighed 10 lbs 2 oz, birth weight 6.12. She has plenty of wet diapers but only poops 1-2 times a week. She is happy and content during the day. Any thoughts? If I didn't wake up, I seriously think she would sleep all night!

Default Re: Almost Sttn at 2.5 months

At 2.5 months, you should feel free to allow your baby to sleep as long as she wants provided her weight gain is good (it is) and that you're not struggling to pump enough at work (you're not). Your nighttime supply will probably drop quite a bit, but since you're home with your baby she will be able to make up for any calories she doesn't get at night by nursing more often during the day. If she decides to start night-waking again- and she probably will!- your supply will follow demand and increase to where she needs it to be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The only possible issue with long sleep stretches at night are if they are 'artificially' long, causing baby (or mom) to be sleeping through cues. This MIGHT occur if baby sucks a pacifier at night, is swaddled at night, and/or sleeps in a separate room from mom most or all of the night.

I agree with mommal, with the weight gain and frequent daytime nursing these long stretches are mosty likely not in any way a problem for you, and yes, your body is adjusting to babies needs and will continue to do so as needed. so the above is just an FYI.

It is also entirely normal for baby to only want one side at a time, especially if has been a longer time between sessions. (more milk in the breast in that case) But some babies never take more than one side at a time. As long as baby controls the length of the feeding and baby decides if/when to switch sides, that is fine.

Thanks for your replies! We don't co-sleep but she does sleep in our room. No swaddling and no paci. My first woke every three hours to the second at night so all this sleep feels a little weird

Yes it is weird when they throw curves like this! My two sons were like this-oldest waking up constantly at night for the first two years, second one slept a 6 hour stretch the first week of life and freaked me out. They have continued to be like night and day in almost every way ever since.