Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bleeding

Default Bleeding

Does anyone know if it is ok to continue feeding on the side that was bitten and bleeding? My 5-month old DS decided to take his first chomp - which hurt for sure - but that I didn't notice was drawing blood until later when I was pumping that side. I've been continuing to feed on that side because I really don't have other options so I hope it's not bad for him. It hurts when he feeds but I think it may be due to his teeth rubbing right on the bite. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Bleeding

yep, it's safe for him to drink that milk. if you're pumping and it grosses you out you can let the milk settle and the blood will separate out.

as far as safety to YOU, you want to make sure that bite starts to heal. can you rotate his position so he's putting pressure at a different angle?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's fine to continue to nurse on the bitten side.

Did baby break the skin? If not, the issue might simply be broken blood vessels inside the breast. The vessels break easily but they also usually heal rapidly. Most moms don't even notice blood from a broken vessel unless they are pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It doesn't look like he broke the skin. I never even considered broken blood vessels. Do you know about how long it takes for that to heal? Seeing blood in my milk when I pump freaks me out so I don't really want to continue until it could be healed. Thanks for your quick responses!

Broken blood vessels usually heal quite quickly, often by the time you need to nurse or pump again.

It only takes a small amount of blood to tint your milk a very startling color. If you're freaked out by the thought of feeding your baby a bottle of bloody milk, just pump as normal and then let the bottle sit in the fridge for a while. After a few hours the blood will sink to the bottom of the bottle, allowing you to pour off the blood-free or mostly blood-free portion on the top.

I totally get why this freaks you out, but don't let it stop you from pumping! The last thing you want is to end up with lowered supply or a plugged duct on top of a bite.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hey there, just in case your LO decides to make a habit out of biting, here's some ways to deal with it:
    http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

And here's some info that was helpful to me about nursing thru any nipple injury and healing up the skin:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I totally get why this freaks you out, but don't let it stop you from pumping! The last thing you want is to end up with lowered supply or a plugged duct on top of a bite.
    x a million
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So my DS definitely broke the skin and now it is incredibly painful to feed him on that side. Does anyone know how long a bite could take to heal?

I have switched positions but it really doesn't help at all. The area looks a little swollen and the bite is now very obvious (it wasn't before). It doesn't look infected. I read the kellymom article about nipple healing but I didn't see anything about how long it could take for the nipple to heal. Is this something I need to see a Dr. about?

Thanks!

How long the bite takes to heal depends on whether or not it is getting re-injured and whether or to there's infection in the wound. If it's not being re-injured and there's no infection, it will probably heal completely within a week or two, just like any other similar wound on your body. If the baby keeps biting you there or infection sets in, it could take a lot longer.

I'd see the doctor only if you start seeing signs of infection (pus, redness, increased swelling, fever, etc.).