Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 day work trip = 90 ounces

Default 3 day work trip = 90 ounces

At the end of the month I'm out of the U.S. for work. I have a morning flight on a Wednesday, I get back Friday night. Lets call it 60 hours away. That's 90 oz of milk I need to leave. I've had an ongoing freezer stash and I have been pumping extra since the end of March, but I don't think I've got the 90. DD has never had an ounce supplement (I'd like to keep it that way - have never even glanced at a formula product), always breastmilk, and her interest in food is still very low. What do people do in these situations? Maybe I should have DH and our nanny who works weekdays work on solids some in the next couple of weeks. We haven't had our nanny do that yet. And not to be pessimistic but I'm not even including any possible travel delay in the equation.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: 3 day work trip = 90 ounces

It's awesome that you have a month to work on this! Can you throw some more pumping sessions into your day? (Easier said than done, I know!) If you can't get to 90 oz before you leave, then I think it makes sense to have formula on hand. In a months, your LO will be 9 months old, but you can't depend on such a young a baby to eat solids, or to eat enough that it makes up for a shortfall in her milk intake. And while formula is a distinctly lower quality infant food than breastmilk, it is still (IMO) better than solids because it is closer in nutritional composition to breastmilk than solids are.

Of course, there is no guarantee that your baby actually will take formula! Lots of babies don't really like it- and who can blame them? So if your husband and nanny realize that they are going to run short of milk before you return, they may need to start experimenting with formula. Will baby take it straight? If so, good. If not, they may need to mix small amounts with her breastmilk bottles- though this is not ideal since the storage guidelines for formula are different from those for breastmilk. Unfinished formula is supposed to be discarded after use (I think you have about an hour to use it up?), whereas unfinished breastmilk can go back into the fridge.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i would add an extra pump every day between now and when you leave.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I added the extra pump in starting back at the end of march. The good news is I just counted twice and have 150 oz of milk, oldest dated Jan as I always leave older frozen milk on Mondays. I'm going to keep pumping as much as possible and yes, easier said than done. I'm constantly in meetings but I get the job done. MOO.
    Last edited by @llli*debbers; April 7th, 2013 at 07:34 AM.

Yay for that additional 60 oz!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    I'm going to keep pumping as much as possible and yes, easier said than done. I'm constantly in meetings but I get the job done. MOO.

and yay for your stash! you'll be golden.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Question Re: 3 day work trip = 90 ounces

I realize you don't need this, but in case someone else is reading in a similar situation... I had an unexpected 2 day hospitalization and surgery and NO stash. We had to do formula for those days because I learned too late that there are a couple overproducing mommas in my area who donate their extra. Ask other mommas near you who you trust if you are in a pinch-they may have some extra stash to share.
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

pumping extra every day w/my hospital grade pump (which i was hoping to ditch and go back to PISA) and now the left side is actually producing nearly nothing, not even an ounce. doing Fenugreek, ordered Pumpin Pals, hoping they help.

imbalance, even severe imbalance, is normal. and also all that extra pumping takes awhile for your body to respond to. don't give up yet!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    imbalance, even severe imbalance, is normal. and also all that extra pumping takes awhile for your body to respond to. don't give up yet!
    No giving up. Just hate seeing a mere sputtering on the left side all day long.