Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFing Positions

Red face BFing Positions

Hello all!! I have been successfully BF my DS for a week now (he is 7 weeks old) . He has mastered the side-lying position and it is his favorite..I think this might be because I have a little bit of a fast flow (I am guessing). When we are in the traditional cradle holding position he fusses a lot and keeps popping on and off..My question is: How do I get him to get used to a position that would be used out in public. I can't really lie down when we are out and about. Any suggestions would be helpful
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Default Re: BFing Positions

I think he's still so young that you should concentrate on using what works (i.e. the side-lying position). Other positions will come in time, as baby grows and gets stronger and more adept. If you have to be out in public, where you're likely to be stuck using the cradle hold, try making an on-the-go nursing pillow by stuffing your diaper bag with a few extra blankets.

Great job getting him back to the breast, mama! What an awesome achievement!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mine also preferred sidelying, until past 6 months, and it was awkward. after about 3 months when he got more head control we could wing it a little better, but essentially he always got snacks and not really good long nursings while we were out.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

oh, it really helped me also to have my feet/knees up really high, like feet on another chair. back seat of the car worked surprisingly well too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

For what it's worth, mine would cough and sputter in the traditional cradle hold at the start, but he outgrew that (maybe somewhere between 2-3 mos?) and after that NIP became logistically easier. So your baby might grow into it. Have you tried nursing in a wrap, sling or carrier? I used to nurse in the Ergo a lot when we were out and about (just loosened the straps a little, wiggle the hip strap down about 6 inches and over to one side so baby is lined up with one breast, slip a hand in between my body & baby to get him latched, and then he was off). I find that when you're wearing baby, he's a little more upright -- so while it doesn't slow the milk quite as much as when you're lying down or laid-back nursing, it does slow it more compared to the traditional cradle hold (which, in the beginning, felt like the milk was flowing so fast right down baby's throat!). 7 weeks might be a little young for that - or who knows, maybe if you experiment with it you'll find something that works? But I just throw that out there as an option for a way to NIP with baby more upright.

I had some issues like mercystreet there in the beginning as I have OALD. I would lay a burp cloth over my arm and the put baby in the cradle hold, when I felt a let down coming I would loosen him off and let the burp cloth catch the let down, then relatch him. It takes a little longer and some patience, but it may help until your LO is older and can handle that position better. I would also nurse in my car when I could as I could lay the seat back really far and lay back with baby more on top of me.

And great job getting back to the breast!
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Go you! My twins also preferred the side-lying position at first, but are now equally as happy with that and cradle. Things that helped me master it:

1. Be sure to get belly to belly. As they've gotten better at it, they do move their bodies around more and are able to stay on, but in the beginning they needed to be flat against me.

2. Lean back. You can do this on any chair, even when you are out. When it's a kitchen chair or similar, I sit on the edge of the chair so I can lean back as far as possible. I like to get back far enough and get the baby's belly against mine to the point that I can almost let go of them completely so that I don't need a pillow (nursing pillows are hit and miss for me, even when I'm home).

3. Keep a loose hold on the baby's head/neck so he can move his head to find the right spot for his nose.

3. Remain calm. This is the hardest part of breastfeeding for me! When trying anything new, I remind myself to stop as soon as either of us is frustrated. If I realize I'm forcing it, then I have to take a break. Try the new position for a few minutes and then go back to side-lying, and then try it again the next time.