Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't keep up with baby's needs!

Default Can't keep up with baby's needs!

Hey ladies! My baby is 5 1/2 months old and is EBF. When I was on maternity leave I pumped about 300 ounces of milk for the freezer. I work 4 days a week and I'm gone for 10 hours. I feed her right before I leave and the minute I get home. I pump twice and get about 10-12 ounces total. Every day my husband has to take between 6 and 10 ounces from the freezer because I don't pump enough the day before. I know I should be pumping 1-1.5 oz per hour I'm away which I am but it's not enough. I'm almost out of the frozen stash and I'm worried about not having enough for her. We feed her on demand but I'm starting to see she's eating so much when I'm away that when I get home she just eats once before bed when she used to cluster feed. She's also sleeping between 7-10 hours a night so there's a dropped feeding or 2 right there. What should I do? Any input would be great thank you!

Default Re: Can't keep up with baby's needs!

Wow you are working so hard to keep nursing baby after your return to work! This must be frustrating for you.

It sounds aas if your husband is overfeeding baby. Assuming weight gain is on track, it will likely help if baby is fed enough while you are gone, not too much.
    Also at this age feedings typically still need to occur overnight, especially when a mom is pumping part of the day.
    Give your husband this hand out http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and these lists of suggestions for alternative comforting measures http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf and see if things improve.

I would also suggest adding one pumping session during the work day, you may only need to do so temporarily. Another option, if possible, is to arrange to see baby to nurse one time during the day.

I would also suggest try to nurse at least once overnight. Try a dream feeding if baby does not wake. Also if you swaddle or if baby has a pacifier at night try cutting back on those sleep extender techniques to see if baby naturally wakes more often to nurse.

Another thing that helps keep milk production in good shape after mom returns to work are taking nursing 'vacations' on weekends-relaxing with baby and nursing a lot!

It is very important to address these issues not only so baby has your milk during the day now, but to protect your milk production going forward.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Agree with PP that you should try nursing overnight. I know it will be hard to wake yourself up for this (who can complain about such great sleep?), but it will help baby get more milk and help your production. I would also add that once baby starts teething, which will probably be soon (my LO got his first tooth at 4 months), she will most likely be up more at night. What time are you feeding her and putting her to bed? What time do you go to bed? If you are putting her to bed at 8 and then going to bed yourself at 10, I think waking up around 1 or 2 would be a good goal. I put baby and myself to bed between 9:30 and 10, and get up around 2 to nurse, 3 or 4 if I'm really lucky--he's been a good sleeper, as we still wake usually twice per night to nurse.

Hey thanks for the advice! She stared waking once during the night again all on her own so that's good. I showed my husband that print out and he'll try to give her less so she'll eat more when I get home. We're starting back into our work week tomorrow so we'll see how it goes!