Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Eating Well

Default Not Eating Well

My little girl (3 1/2 months old) has caught a cold and ear infection. She is on antibiotics for the ear infection.

I am having the toughest time getting her to eat. I know she is at least a little dehydrated as her diapers have gone way down. Maybe three in the past 24 hours and they were not that wet.

She normally nurses every three hours or less when we are together and takes a bottle every three hours while I am away. She is going 6 hours between nursing and when she does it is a struggle and I can only get her to nurse one side. I have been pumping. But she is completely refusing bottles. I have been spoon feeding her expressed breast milk or feeding her with a dropper to get a little more fluid in her.

I took her to the doctor yesterday and he didn't seem to concerned and said she didn't seem dehydrated but this was only 12 hours into her nursing troubles. I am supposed to go to work and my husband is supposed to stay home with her. He will offer her bottles or feed her with a dropper.

Why won't she eat? I guess she could be in pain from the ear infection (we have been giving her Tylenol). She is also extra gassy and having tummy pain. She does have reflux and is on Zantac.

I am not sure what to do. She did nurse this morning for 5 mintues after I tried for 1 1/2 hours. I would try to get her to nurse and she would arch her back and refuse but I kept trying. Then when she did nurse she didn't seem to be sucking very well.

This is frustrating!

Default Re: Not Eating Well

I called the on call doctor from her pediatrician office this morning. He says not to worry as long as she pees at least once a day? That doesn't seem right to me.

He also said to try and give her pedialyte if she won't eat today. Then bring her in if she won't drink that.

I forgot to mention that she vomited twice. The first was Sunday night right after she started refusing to eat. I gave her Tylenol for fever and right after that she threw up. The second time was yesterday. She had eaten about 11:30 AM. She would nurse at 3 PM so I tried to give her a bottle. As soon at the nipple hit her lits she threw up. The strange thing was that both time she vomited milk I thought it was supposed to be digisted in 2 hours?

I'm sorry your LO is so unwell, mama!

This link from kellymom.com reviews nursing during an illness and the signs of dehydration: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/ The link suggests that less than 2 wet diapers per day means that it's time to see the doc, and that Pedialyte is not necessary; if anything is given via bottle/syringe/dropper, it should be expressed milk.

When it comes to infant digestion during a tummy bug, all bets are off. I don't think it's that surprising that your LO threw up milk 2 hours after she last nursed.

Be patient and keep offering to nurse!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We have only given her expressed milk - but she flat out refuses bottles and refuses to nurse except after a long time. The nurse at her doctor's office actually advised me to give her pedialyte when I called to ask how much Tylenol for her fever-before she stopped eating well. So I guess they push pedialyte.

I am working today so much husband is trying to feed her with bottles and droppers. I haven't heard yet how that is going.

She is doing better. She drank 9 oz in 13 hours - which is not quite normal but not too far off. I came home this evening and she nursed one side and did not want the other. I am so tired from three nights of very little sleep. I am finding myself not pumping as much as I should given that she is not eating normally. I suspect my supply will take a hit.

Oh do they push pedialyte and made us feel terrible for wanting an alternative.
    I'm glad she ate at least that much. It will come back up when LO nurses more again. It took my LO a few days before she was taking in as much as before.