Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby preferring water over expressed BM

Default Baby preferring water over expressed BM

LO is almost 9-months and recently is refusing expressed BM bottles during the day. My hubby and mother give her cold water in sippy cups to keep her hydrated. She's only eating 4 oz in 11 hours that I'm gone. Is this normal as baby gets older (part of self weaning?) She nurses fine when I get home (at least 2 feedings before bed then 3-4 during the night).

MIL wants to give fruit juices in a bottle but this is not a good idea right? She says she would juice real fruits but I think baby won't take any BM once she gets sweet stuff in her bottle...

Default Re: Baby preferring water over expressed BM

We only offered water to my LO with "meals"... Or solids. It seems to me that your LO should be having more BM while you're gone. My DD is 10mo and she eats at least 9oz in 9 hours that I'm away from her. She used to eat 12-16 oz while i was at work when she was younger and not having any complimentary solids.
    Is she eating any solids? Is there a way that they can substitute the water with BM in the sippy cups?
    BM actually keeps the baby hydrated and a bf'ed baby shouldn't need any water, that was my understanding. I actually asked the dr several times b/c my mom was concerned my baby wasn't drinking any water (I was a formula baby!)

But... If she's waking up 3-4 times at night she may be getting what she needs... Making up for what se doesn't take during the day?

fruit juice is indeed a bad idea for several reasons. The acidity even of "mild" fruit can give her indigestion and a red bum (where poop has contact), fruit juice instantly raises the blood sugar level which affects appetite (meaning she will not want to have BM because she feels satisfied), and if she gets her teeth they would be bathed in fruit juice which can through acidity and sugar cause damage to the teeth. It does not matter if it is freshly made. Fruit juice is not really a drink but a food.

If MIL wants to give her something else besides water it should be herbal tea without sweetener (which means not the ready to mix granulated "tea" but eitehr tea bags or buy loose seeds. Be sure to buy organic even if you don't normally, as most seeds like fennel etc if grown not organically can contain ahigh levels of pesticides. A good baby tea is fennel seeds, caraway and aniseed, mixed or individually, the also help with digestive issues like gas as a side effect. In health ororganic food stores you can buy such baby tea mixtures in tea bags for easier handling. It is in fact quite sweet by itself. Also, sometimes these baby teas are sweetened with licorice but I am not so sure if licorice is right for 9 months old so I staid away from those.
    My son always liked his baby tea and even now with 4 1/2 sometimes asks for it (but mostly he prefers water or other herbal teas now)
    Last edited by @llli*mammi; April 4th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Ack! How stressful. It does seem like she'll need mor BM during the day -- unless she is reverse cycling and taking in a lot more at night. Are you co-sleeping? Does she nurse through the night? Is she just flutter sucking to fall back asleep?

A few thoughts on the day:
    Is the BM soapy? Any chance of excess lipase, which cents come and go.
    If she likes cold water are they offering cold BM in a sippy? Is she teething? The cold may be soothing and she's filling up by accident.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Yes, LO loves solids! Since she starting eating solids, her BM intake did drop a little (2-3 oz) but now she's outright refusing bottles Ihad a feeling she should be eating more in the day (just wasn't sure b/c she's an older baby now). I'll suggest to my mother and hubby to put the BM in her sippy cup (although I know they'll think I'm trying to force my BM on her ) I just pumped and tasted the milk, and it tastes a little sweet... ? Never really tasted it before but soapy can't be similar to sweet. thank you for the suggestion on baby teas (had no idea about those). LO also doesn't have any teeth yet, so could be teething, that gives me a bit of hope. thanks all...

It's not forcing your BM on her... BM is actually what gives her the nutrition she needs!!! It's good for her, not bad!!!

It sounded like it was some sort of medicine LOL

If baby is eating solids and takes water in a sippy with them, that is fine of course. But I would suggest strongly that water not be given to baby in a bottle as a substitute for breastmilk. Or if it must be given, it is given in very small amounts.

While it certainly serves to keep a baby hydrated, Breastmilk is a food that is packed with calories, healthy fats, and nutrition. More than most solid foods even. So substituting water or anything else for breastmilk is potentially a problem.

Maybe the problem is the bottle and how it is being given. 9 months and eating lots of solids suggests baby is ready to be taking more control in eating and drinking. So I agree about trying a sippy cup or straw cup, and what about mixing your milk with her solids?

Is baby being spoon fed solids or encouraged to eat what baby wants? I wonder if baby is refusing milk because the solids are being "pushed" a bit. Again, if baby fills up on other things, baby will drink less milk.

If your milk tastes sweet there is not a lipase issue.

Personally I wouldn't allow water to a baby under 1 year, when it is causing a drop in BM intake. Under 1 year the majority of your baby's nutrition is from breast milk. So if water is replacing BM, and therefore eliminating NUTRITION, I would stop giving water altogether. They are filling up the baby with ZERO NUTRITION by giving her water which makes no sense at all. I agree with you, if they want to give her something to drink and she's refusing bottles, then you change to cups of BM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

When I was in a similar position with DD1, the advice I was given by Dr. Jack Newman (a breastfeeding expert) was that it was OK to give water and solids as a replacement for breastmilk at this age as long as she was nursing well/often during the time that I was home with her (I think it was at least 5 good nursing sessions/day).

ETA: That was a situation where DD was already eating a lot of solids during the day, and we were only offering small quantities of water at a time via cup. She was not getting water in a bottle as a direct replacement to breastmilk, just to be clear.
    Last edited by @llli*manitobamommy; April 5th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

I would definitely NOT offer juice as a replacement (or really at all) though.