Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It's been a week now with this nursing strike :(

Default It's been a week now with this nursing strike :(

Hi there,

I am brand new to this forum and am so thankful that they have this available. I am hoping that someone out there has experienced what I am going through.

My son is 10.5 months old now and has been breastfed all along. He's only had a bottle a few times. He loves nursing! I have often thought to myself that this one is going to be hard to wean. Everything has gone so smoothly until....

A week ago when he went on a strike. Problem is, he won't suck anything, no bottle, sippy cup, and of course, no breast. I have been giving him milk with a syringe for the past week and pumping to keep my supply up.

His Doctor believes he has teeth coming in and I keep massaging his gums and hoping to feel something coming through but I don't yet. It does feel like he may have a bottom molar trying to come through but I don't see anything yet. He has his top 4 teeth and 2 middle bottom teeth. If he were to follow the common order then the next to come would be the bottom lateral incisors (2 next to the middle teeth) but I don't see anything going on there.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have been trying so hard to stay strong but this morning I broke down.

I keep praying and hoping

Default Re: It's been a week now with this nursing strike :(

bump

I am so sorry about the nursing strike, mama. I have seen friends go through them and they are extremely stressful. Also, they all happened right around this age- 9-10 months.

Has the doc actually seen the baby? Checked his ears, swabbed his throat for strep? Or was this just a phone consult?

This is the best link I know of for nursing strikes: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ the skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be especially helpful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes the doctor did see him. Checked his ears and mouth and everything was fine. Since it's been over a week I called the doctor again today and they said this is really rare and told me to keep doing what I'm doing.

I'm concerned that he is just fine with the syringe and that I'm not encouraging a sippy cup more so for his nap today, instead of giving him the milk with a syringe, I gave him his sippy cup to see if he would drink from that. He didn't finish it. It was between 2 to 3 oz and he got some of it while he chewed on the nipple but that's it. I'm so frustrated