Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: storage from freezer to fridge

Default storage from freezer to fridge

hi!
    I have A LOT of Qs...so bare w/ me and help!!

Just started back to work...only 5 hr shift 1-2Xs a week (starting off REAL slow)...LO is 5 mo. she is exclusively BF...I have a large stash of milk in the deep freezer...I usually only pump when I'm engorged (i,e she sleeps longer in the night)

my Qs:

-when I defrost milk from freezer to fridge, how LONG can the milk stay in the fridge? one day? two days?

-if its not drank from the freezer to the fridge can I just re-freeze it?

-if she drinks from a bottle that milk in the bottle...is it considered "contaminated"...can she drink from it the NEXT day? can I REFREEZE it?

-if I warm the milk up (i.e. in a water filled pot) can I then place the remaining contents that she didnt drink fully back in the fridge and feed her again w/ this rewarmed refridged milk?

thank you!!

Default Re: storage from freezer to fridge

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*coolranchdressing View Post
    hi!
    I have A LOT of Qs...so bare w/ me and help!!

Just started back to work...only 5 hr shift 1-2Xs a week (starting off REAL slow)...LO is 5 mo. she is exclusively BF...I have a large stash of milk in the deep freezer...I usually only pump when I'm engorged (i,e she sleeps longer in the night)

my Qs:

-when I defrost milk from freezer to fridge, how LONG can the milk stay in the fridge? one day? two days?
    it is good in the fridge 24 hours after it is COMPLETELY thawed. So if you put it in the fridge to thaw overnight, it probably won't completely thaw until the morning, and then it would be good until the following morning.

-if its not drank from the freezer to the fridge can I just re-freeze it?
    no, you shouldn't re-freeze, you should use it within 24 hours
    -if she drinks from a bottle that milk in the bottle...is it considered "contaminated"...can she drink from it the NEXT day? can I REFREEZE it?
    If she drinks from the bottle, it's not good until the next day. And milk shouldn't be refrozen. Some guidelines say it's ok for 1 hour from the time that baby started the bottle. I think most of us have found that it is totally fine to save it for the next feeding (ie. 2-3 hours later). Probably saving it for the next day is too long, however.
    -if I warm the milk up (i.e. in a water filled pot) can I then place the remaining contents that she didnt drink fully back in the fridge and feed her again w/ this rewarmed refridged milk?
    It is fine to refrigerate and rewarm a bottle that has already been warmed. Not over and over, but once should be fine. Again, if she started the bottle, you would want to do this within the span of a few hours, probably not the next day.

When in doubt, you can always smell or taste the milk. If it smells/tastes sweet and fresh, it is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    It is fine to refrigerate and rewarm a bottle that has already been warmed. Not over and over, but once should be fine.
    my frozen milk would never re-heat a second time without spoiling. but we would've used it if it had, and DS would often take it cooled off. so YMMV.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

One thing to consider is to freeze the milk in the same portion size as baby drinks it. For example, if baby is drinking a 3 oz bottle (which would be a usual bottle size for a breastfed baby), freeze in 3 oz portions, with some 1 oz portions to serve as toppers if needed. Or, if you start working longer hours, and you have some milk frozen in larger portions, split the milk once it's thawed. For example, if you have a 5 oz bag, thaw, split into two 2.5 ounce bottles. That way, you don't have to worry about re-warming/re-serving etc.