Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux...how do you know?

Default Reflux...how do you know?

I have a 3 week old and She seems to spit up A LOT....and a lot more than I remember my first LO spitting up. How do you know if its just normal spitting up or its actually reflux? I feel so bad bc no matter what position I try to put her in she spits up and a lot of times it comes out her nose which completely freaks me out. Today, it had been about 2 hours since her last feeding and she was still spitting up! Help!

Default Re: Reflux...how do you know?

Is she in pain? If not, I wouldn't worry about it at all!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Not during the spitting up, but in between she grunts and groans a lot while trying to pass gas/ burp. Laying on her tummy seems to help. I guess I should ask what are the signs of reflux?

Dr. Sears has what I consider a useful article on reflux and GERD. Here is is: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/par...-faq%E2%80%99s

To be accurate, "reflux" is simply a term for spitting up and is a normal, frequent occurrence in babies. But I imagine what you are getting at is, what are the signs of PAINFUL reflux or GERD where baby may need medication. As I recall the signs of that may or may not include unusual amounts of spitting up, but do include baby having PAIN in the esophageal area when burping or spitting up or when laid flat on back.

It can be tricky because a big spitup can upset everyone so baby may cry after spitting up even if it is not painful, and very few young babies will not protest when laid on their backs and left (as in a crib) because they have a very strong need to be held and prefer a more or less upright position in safe warm adult arms. I think it's mainly a difference of degree. A baby with GERD clearly hurts, may refuse to nurse, may even be losing weight or not gaining.

To further confuse the issue, forceful letdown/overproduction can cause issues that look a lot like reflux. For more on that: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

The refusing to nurse has been my personal indicator. I had a high needs colicky baby who clearly was uncomfortable on her back or being put down but didn't need to be medicated because she was still nursing and gaining - she liked to be held and spit-up a lot because she was baby, not because she was suffering from GERD.

And then my third daughter had the most clear signs of GERD I could expect: complete refusal to feed, screaming, grunting, knees to the chest, in PAIN. It was very clear and to this day I know what to call the doc to have her dose evaluated based on her willingness to eat vs. pain AND nursing strike.

Thank you all...I'm feeling better that it is not GERD....and she's probably just a spitter.