Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump is starting to hurt

Default Pump is starting to hurt

I believe I read a post that stated it's common to need to change flange sizes after pumping for awhile. Am I remembering that correctly? I nurse exclusively at home but pump 3x a day, 5 days a week at work. Just started recently feeling a little bruisey. I'm fortunate that DD hasn't broken a single tooth yet! Hooray for late bloomers.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Pump is starting to hurt

Not necessarily common, but certainly not uncommon. If pumping hurts, definitely try a different flange size or at least try lubing the nipple with a drop or two of olive oil. Sometimes that can enable the nipple to slide with less friction when the tube is just marginally too small. Also, start the pump on the lowest level and only gradually turn it up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I like to use coconut oil on my nipples when I pump. I also recommend the pumpin pal flanges too. I'm on my second LO using them and haven't had any nipple pain since I switched from the medela flanges. They don't work for everyone, but they do work great for most.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pumpmom View Post
    I like to use coconut oil on my nipples when I pump. I also recommend the pumpin pal flanges too. I'm on my second LO using them and haven't had any nipple pain since I switched from the medela flanges. They don't work for everyone, but they do work great for most.
    Thanks. I'm a loyal coconut oil user. Entire body moisturizer for me and DD, as a deep conditioner & hair smoother for me, in her diaper area tho she's never had a rash and I also cook with it.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

For unknown reasons I started having pump pain a while back (was using 27mm flanges). My left nipple is bigger than my right so I switched to 30mm on the left side and it helped. My breasts and nipples aren't huge or anything, but for some reason this worked for me. Lube also worked (I used olive oil). So yes, I think it's common to have to change flange sizes. Just experiment and see what works. Hope it feels better soon!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    I believe I read a post that stated it's common to need to change flange sizes after pumping for awhile.
    I had never heard that. But thank you for posting. I had noticed that the flanges didn't fit the same as they used to, but for some reason it never dawned on me to try another size. After seeing this, I got a set of 21mm, and they are more comfortable and I am getting more milk.