Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you tell when to introduce addition meal?

Default How do you tell when to introduce addition meal?

My lo is 12 months, ebf, doing bls. Currently he has solids for lunch and dinner, and nurse for the rest of the day (and all night long!). He doesn't eat a lot, just a few bites here and there. Health wise, he's doing fine. I'm just wondering if I should add in more solids? His peers are eating 3 meals a day, plus 2 snacks. I know every baby is different, and the other babies are mostly spoon fed and bottle fed. I can't really benchmark against them. Moms who have btdt, do you have advice for me?

Default Re: How do you tell when to introduce addition meal?

I think you just keep following the baby's lead. When he's hungry, he'll ask for food. He'll see you eating and he'll demand a plate. He'll toddle over to the fridge or the cabinet and start pointing. If it's convenient for you to feed him a third meal, go ahead and do so- but don't feel like you absolutely have to sit him down in a high chair with a well-rounded sampling of solids. At 12 months, a third "meal" could simply be a cup of Cheerios or a bowl of blueberries or something small like that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby doesn't communicate that effectively yet, so I guess even if he wants more food, he doesn't know how to tell me. Though if he wants milk, he will pull down my tank top. He definitely wants my biscuit if he sees me having one. But that has to do with him wanting to copy me than actually wanting to eat right?

At 12 months, tugging and pointing and- yes- shrieking and grunting all count as communicating. Whether your LO wants a biscuit because he wants to copy you or because he wants to eat it is kind of an open question. 12 months is that threshold age where some babies are starting to really want and need calories from solids, and some are still 100% satisfied with breastmilk and won't need solids until later in their second year.