Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yeast & Water

Default Re: Yeast & Water

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    Thanks for the response. I understand that you are very paranoid about losing your milk supply but as I mentioned earlier, a woman's milk supply doesn't just disappear for no reason. It's all about supply and demand and as long as baby is putting a demand on it, your body will produce the exact supply baby needs. If baby demands less, your body produces less. But if baby suddenly starts to demand more, your body will respond by producing more too. Making milk is a pretty spectacular process

I don't know to what extent you used Babywise and I think you did good to toss it. As I'm sure you are well aware of, many parents who follow Ezzo's methods end up with babies who have failure to thrive.

You may just want to try letting baby set his own schedule just to see how he does. He may surprise you You can take all the supplements you want but none of them will really do you one bit of good unless there's added breast stimulation. And even after you decrease the breast stimulation, the milk will decrease as well -- good old supply & demand again Baby's are amazing little creatures!

I hope this helps!
    You have helped me so much! As a matter of fact, because of your quick responses and positive outlook, I have told others about this board who are also having nursing issues. Thanks again!

[quote=GagesMom]Has anyone tried this? My sister said that she tried this and it worked for her when she was nursing to quickly up her supply. I guess you are suposed to take a spoonfull of yeast (the kind in the packets) and down it with a glass of water. She said it tastes 100% terrible.<

Ordinary baking yeast, the kind that you are talking about, does not help to increase your milk supply.
    It USED to be thought that taking NUTRITIONAL yeast, which is high in B vitamins, would increase your milk. Nutritional yeast may help your general health (if you are low on B vitamins) but has not been shown to increase your milk.

LLLnormaR

I have heard that taking yeast can cause a yeast infection in yourself as well as your child.....?????

Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by mamajenn
    I have heard that taking yeast can cause a yeast infection in yourself as well as your child.....?????

Is this true?

Not true. I think the yeast in question here is Brewer's Yeast, which is taken as a nutritional supplement. And the yeast found in baked goods is different as well (and usually dead by the time you eat it anyway), though some believe that the simple carbs (white sugar and flour) found in many baked goods can contribute to a yeast infection, as yeast feeds on simple sugars.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!