Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing position trouble

Default Re: Nursing position trouble

Thanks for the encouragement! I was able to nurse upright twice yesterday, just by putting her body in position and rocking her, then let her find the nipple on her own after crying abated. She pulled off a few times, then latched herself again. I think I had started to force her to latch, and she needs to feel free to pull away if the letdown is too forceful. Two times is twice more than we've managed in weeks.

Family reunion this weekend. I'm bringing a quilt to lie on, if necessary. Good thing I have a huge, boisterous and supportive family!

that's great! good luck with the reunion! bringing a blanket always works for us, too. The other thing that's been working for us is leaning way back in a chair, so her head is snuggled in my arm and she is actually lying down almost flat (just like she would be on the bed).
    and Mama to two little girls

This was my problem! Bad latch for so long had actually decreased my supply. What I thought was oversupply for so long was fore/hind imbalance from not having enough removed. This video could easily be my baby. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...e=vid-jiggling

I would add one more symptom, if anyone reading this thinks she has the same issues: she nursed REALLY well when asleep (when my flow was good), but when awake in any position but sidelying, if the flow was good, she would cry (sometimes whimpering while latched, I guess because of the spray going down wrong with the bad latch). If the flow was slow, she would pull and tug, like the video. If the flow was good and we were sidelying, she nursed well and fell asleep quickly (I think this position was the only one in which I was getting a good latch).

So, I am now pumping and cup feeding after sessions at the breast, working on my latch when upright, and doing compressions when sidelying.

Can you give us some more history? have you had weight gain issues? Decreased diaper output? Have you had trouble with latch all along?

I had these exact same issues, nursed awesome when asleep and if she was awake it was very difficult, EXCEPT if we lay down together. That was because she was relaxed when sleeping and able to handle the fire hose letdown I had. If your baby is crying from "good flow" as you describe when you are sitting up, it's not her latch, I would say it's because the milk is coming so fast down her throat. When she is side lying with you gravity prevents that from happening. I mean, it could be that she has trouble latching when you are upright but I'm not sure of your history. In your last post you said she guzzled it down with side-lying. IMO that is a letdown issue. I love Jack Newman but I think that video is misleading. What I think is much more helpful is this: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-milkflow.aspx. Jack Newman taught me latch, thankfully. But this article is way more informative than the video you posted. Jiggling can be milk too slow, but if you read this it should help you to really narrow down what's going on. I actually belong to their yahoo online group, the IBCLC who wrote this is very well educated and experienced.
    and Mama to two little girls

I only saw this tonight. Somehow, I had the notifications turned off. Very good info. Thank you!